I'm confused, please help

eelliott73

so Im 15 and I'm pregnant and my mom refuses to support me. my grandpa wants me to live with him and I have other people who would like to support me but my mom says no and that I'm on my own with this. She said if I keep the baby then I have to stay with her and pay her bills, she says I can't get on medicaid or Wik because she makes too much. She still refuses to support me but won't let me go somewhere where someone could, she won't even let me go with my own family members. My dad wants me to go with my grandpa but my mom won't let me. Can you tell me if she has a right to do that?

Are your parents divorced and Mom has custody? If so then the custody papers give Mom the right to say where you live. You say she refuses to support you but insists that you will live with her. What support is she refusing? Perhaps Dad and Granddad can help with "support" in the way of diapers, etc. Dad could possibly go to court and try to change the custody, but don't count on that happening. It's pretty unrealistic for her to expect a teenager with a baby to pay her bills. How does she plan to make that happen?

so Im 15 and I'm pregnant and my mom refuses to support me. my grandpa wants me to live with him and I have other people who would like to support me but my mom says no and that I'm on my own with this. She said if I keep the baby then I have to stay with her and pay her bills, she says I can't get on medicaid or Wik because she makes too much. She still refuses to support me but won't let me go somewhere where someone could, she won't even let me go with my own family members. My dad wants me to go with my grandpa but my mom won't let me. Can you tell me if she has a right to do that?

You are in a very tough place, eelliott73.

Your immediate focus should be on three things:
1) seek pre-natal services of a physician
2) make sure you eat the proper foods and drink lots of water
3) you need to get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night

So, I suggest you start by reading some information that will become useful for you:

https://dssapp3.dss.mo.gov/ChildSupportEligibility/Faq.aspx

http://cordellcordell.com/resources/missouri/missouri-child-custody-questions/

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/03/can-grandparents-be-ordered-to-pay-child-support.html

http://www.lifemanagement.com/fsa8.1.1937/

(5) Mo. Rev. Stat. § 454.400(2)(16) In addition to the powers, duties and functions vested in the division of child support enforcement by other provisions of this chapter or by other laws of this state, the division of child support enforcement shall have the power: To enforce support orders against the parents of the noncustodial parent, jointly and severally, in cases where such parents have a minor child who is the parent and the custodial parent is receiving assistance under the state program funded under Part A of Title IV of the Social Security Act.

If your mother and father are married, your dad's authority is equal to your mother's.
If dad says you can live with your grandfather, you can do that without issues for you and baby.
But, if you do that, it'll definitely place a strain on the marriage of your mother and father.
Eventually, that strain will impact many of your relatives.
When some people say there's nothing wrong with teen pregnancy, its just not true.
I don't say that to beta you up, just to get you to think.

If your mom and dad are divorced, and mom has physical custody of you, mom's word is law.
If mom says you can't live with grandfather, that's the end of that discussion.

What mom (nor dad) can't do is refuse to support YOU.
You area child in tough place, and mom (maybe dad, too) must provide you with shelter, food, clothes, medical care, and an eduction.

In Missouri, is mom (maybe dad) required to support the baby in your womb, and when the baby is born?
Your mom and dad will soon be grandparents.

Are grandparents required to support the children their minor children have in Missouri???

States where grandparents may be required to pay for the support of their grandchild are:

Arizona
Idaho
Illinois
Maryland
Missouri
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Ohio
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Wisconsin
Wyoming

There is a little known provision of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 - also known as the Welfare Reform Act - that encourages every state to put in place a process whereby a child support order can be enforced against grandparents.

This process and the attendant requirements will vary by state.

The important thing to note is that every state accepting federal funding for child support is encouraged to have such a law requiring grandparents to be held accountable and made responsible to provide child support for their grandchildren and minor children!!!

So far, just 13 state have enacted the a law.

I have listed the states that have done so, and Missouri is one.

So, mother needs to be told that she can be held accountable (as can the father of the baby and his parents, if he's a minor) to pay child support for the baby in your belly.

Generally, grandparents may be liable to pay child support or care for their grandchild if:

The parents are minors
The MINOR parents can prove they are unable to support the children
The grandparents have custody of the child in and are in fact parenting the child
One parent cannot be found but their parents - the grandparents - can be found

You need to have dad read what I've posted about grandparents and supporting their grandchildren.
Then ask dad to talk to mom.

Its best if all of you can work this out, and you and the baby get the medical care and help you'll need.

Please, keep us in the loop.

I wish you well.

Last edited:
You are 15, can't support this baby, and have parents who are not eager to raise another kid because you messed up. You don't mention the father of this baby, but my guess is he is either out of the picture or was never in it past conception or you would have mentioned him. Until you are 18 you live where your custodial parent and or the court tell you that you live. If you really want what is best for this baby you need to seriously consider adoption. It isn't fair to bring an infant into a situation where they are not wanted with a parent who can't support him/her.

You played adult games which have adult consequences. Its not your parents obligation to support your child! If you have or keep this child your can forget and an education. Your best career options will be asking if they want fries with that? I agree with the above since you fail to mention the Father he is likely not interested and his only interest was the sex. You cannot expect your parents or his for that matter to support your child. You need to seriously look at adoption not for your sake but for child's

Back