1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

I'm a 16 year old male and want to stay with grandparents

Discussion in 'Grandparents Rights' started by Dj Burditt, Dec 18, 2016.

  1. Dj Burditt

    Dj Burditt Law Topic Starter Guest

    Hello! I am a 16 year old male. I live in Missouri. I am trying to figure out if it is legal for me to leave my parents house and go live with my grandparents in Texas.
    I don't know if this is considered any type of abuse in the eyes of the law, but here is my situation.
    A girl came to live with my family. She was 19 when she came and is now 20.
    She claimed that she came to live us because she really liked being around my mom and because she didn't like living with her family. I have known this girl since I was about ten years old. I have liked her the whole time. When she came to live with us, we talked and it turns out she (supposedly) likes me as well. So at this point I am what I would consider (in love) with her. And since she is feeling the same towards me I was seriously considering marrying her when I was of age.
    Anyway, so only two weeks after she moved in, my dad tells me that HE IS GOING TO MARRY HER! My dad is in his late thirties and is still married to my mom.(Who lives in the same house.) So anyway, it turns out that my parents are okay with polygamy and so is this girl. That was a huge shock to me that she would even consider marrying a man that is old enough to be her father and is already married! Well anyway that is what it is. That was maybe 8 months ago. I of course have asked and fought to be allowed to leave and go live with my grandparents. My dad does not let me. I have also said at the beginning of this disgusting affair that if this girl gets pregnant I AM LEAVING! I would run away if I have to. I felt like that would be too much for me to handle and be around. My dad originally said that he understands that and he will not let that happen until I am old enough to leave and am gone. Well here we are 8 or so months later... and she is pregnant. Has been for 2 or 3 months. I am so sick of this and have slit my wrists more than once. (Which my dad knows.) I am homeschooled, so I am home all day. I have tried but cannot concentrate on my school at all. I am falling behind in my grades. I am hesitant to leave because if I leave and the police come and take me back, I my be forced to live with them, my dad will take my phone and every thing that I value away, and I will be worse than grounded. My grandparents that live in Texas would like for me to come live with them. Would it be legal for me to go live with them even if my dad doesn't want me to? My mom would not mind if I went to live with them. So if only one parent refused to let me live with my grandparents, would the police come and take me back home?
  2. leslie82

    leslie82 Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    You can go where your parents allow you to go. That's it. If they tell you that you can't live with your grandparents, then you can't live with your grandparents. It's that simple.

    It is not abuse for your dad and mom to have a polyamorous relationship. Sorry you liked that girl but it would have been illegal for her to have sex with you as the age of consent is 17 in Missouri.

    Legally your dad is only married to your mom. But if she's okay with your dad having another woman in the house that's their decision.

    If you're slitting your wrists you need to tell someone and you need to get help. Asap. Talk to a counselor at school. Talk to someone.

    If you leave your mom could easily say she never said you could go and yes, they can bring you back. Your parents are married to each other so they both have custody over you.

    This is a pretty messed up situation. You need to talk to the school counselor or someone that can bring you and your parents together about this situation and work something out.
    Renee' likes this.
  3. cbg

    cbg Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You may NOT legally leave home at 16. You may LEGALLY leave home on the earlier of the day your parents give you permission to leave home, or your 18th birthday.
    Renee' likes this.
  4. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Slow down Romeo. Killing yourself over a girl at 16 only counts as romance in Shakespeare. Do you have a minister or other trusted adult you can talk to?

    If not, contact these folks Home

    You can not move out until you turn 18 unless your parents say that you can. Your father having an affair with another adult and that affair resulting in a pregnancy is not abuse nor any reason the authorities would remove you from the home. It doesn't matter if you had a crush on the woman or not. She is an adult and you are a child, so any marriage plans you fantasized about were just that; a fantasy. Legally you could not have married her, not to mention she is involved with your father. She can like you without it leading to happily ever after. I suspect you need counseling to deal with your feelings and learn how to have a healthy adult relationship. If you were in school, I'd say contact your guidance counselor but being homeschooled you will need to look for other resources in your community. Some homeschooled students still do have access to guidance counselors through the local school so you can call and check on that as well.
    leslie82 likes this.

Share This Page