Illegal Hiring Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

6BOOMER

I've been employeed by the Federal Government since 1989 then seven more years of Honorable Military Service, with a 10% disablily (Service Connected). Recently applied for a specific Mission Support Position with DHS/CBP. Scored 110 on the application. Had my interview and was awaiting the disposition. I was contacted by a Supervisor in HR and advised me I had not been selected. I requested a reason and he replied "Staff advised no one could leave my particular office due to a shortage in my office of personnel". This is against the law I believe. So I wasn't selected. Also several personel in my office had heard the same about other employees trying to get out of our office. Some employees quit however for the last fifteen years no one was able to move on. They have down graded our positions from Gs11 to Gs07 and myself and others are just trying to salvage a carreer at a GS09. What should be done. I have written statements from the HR Supervisor what was said in the process. Labor and Management was also aware this was going on. Our Head Staff Supervisors were also aware and they are SES's.

I suggest you speak your union, if represented by one, many government employees are. Your legal remedies are few, if any at all. If you have recourse, it'll be through OPM. Ask what your appeal process is, if there is one. Otherwise, with government cutbacks looming, if I were you, I wouldn't rock the boat. Some of those bureaucrats are very revengeful.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

This is NOT illegal in the private sector. The laws may be different for Federal employees, I don't know, but there in the private sector there is nothing even remotely illegal in what you've described. I can't imagine that there would be a law prohibiting an employer from blocking the transfer of a needed employee, but if you believe there is, then by all means speak to your union and/or an employment attorney who is knowledgeable about Federal employee requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back