If my husband terminates parental rights is he obligated to pay child support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerfish

We live in MN
Child's mother lives in Iowa
My husband and I lived in Iowa at time of the child's conception (about April/May of 2007).

My husband had an affair and the women got pregnant. I left him and moved to Minnesota. He stayed with her in order to be responsible and take care of the child. She decided she wanted nothing to do with him and then told him she had an abortion. He is very against abortion and wanted nothing to do with her after she told him this. He has since moved here to MN, and we have been undergoing counseling and trying to work on our marriage.

Two months ago, we received paperwork for child support for the child that was supposed to have been aborted. In fact the child was born in January of this year. We are in the beginning stages of this and the paternity test is scheduled for today and I am extremely anxious.

I would like to know what his legal rights are regarding this instance. I was reading on Wikipedia that in regards to father's rights:

"The concept begins with the premise that when an unwed female becomes pregnant she has the option of abortion, adoption, or parenthood; and argues, in the context of legally recognized gender equality, that in the earliest stages of pregnancy the putative (alleged) father has the right the relinquish all future parental rights and financial responsibility -- leaving the informed mother with the same three options"

I was wondering how accurate this statement is and on what legal authority?
My husband was never given this choice, the pregnancy was allegedly stopped by the mother, but come now to find out this was a blatant lie, so he was completely left out of this decision. Is he responsible for child support for this child?

I also have been looking into termination of parental rights. It is hard to get a clear understanding, but if he volunteers to give up parental rights is he obligated to pay child support? And if he is found to be obligated, is the child support is lowered from the standard because he is not going to have contact with and/or custody of the child, or does he still have to pay the full amount (percentage?)?

As you can imagine this is extremely expensive, painful, embarrassing and horrible for all involved. We are in the process of entertaining bankruptcy anyways because of the financial toll all this separating and moving, and I'm not sure we can afford another expense when we can't even afford a second car for me to drive to work.

It is ironic that the day my husband received notice that he had secured a full time position at his job he's been at for the last few months, we received this paperwork.

Our plan had been to save up enough money to pay a lawyer to help up with the bankruptcy stuff, and then work extremely hard to rebuild everything. What happens to this child support case when we are going through a bankruptcy? My husband is making a significantly higher salary now (he was mostly unemployed during the months he was with her) and I read this fact from Wikipedia as well.

"Child support guidelines are founded on the premise that children should continue to receive the same level of support that would have been available to them had the family unit remained intact."

How do they determine this? For all anyone know, he could still be unemployed if he was still with her.

Please help us understand these legal issues so I know how to proceed.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Wikipedia is not usually considered to be a reliable resource. The information you quoted is not accurate according to the Iowa Code, at least as far as I can tell. It is very unlikely that he will be allowed to terminate his parental rights/obligations.

Here's the Code:
http://nxtsearch.legis.state.ia.us/...07codesupp/1/27810?f=templates&fn=default.htm

Your husband will be responsible for child support, and lack of visitation will not lower the amount. The mother's deception is unfortunate, but there is a child now. Both parents will be responsible for support.

You should consult an attorney regarding the impact of bankruptcy on child support obligations.

Unless there is a step-parent willing to adopt the child, he cannot terminate rights. Plus this is not something he can petition anyways. If it were that easy to termimate rights and be a deadbeat, then we would have deadbeats all over the place. He got her pregnant he must support the child. It doesn't matter that the mom said she had an abortion.

Was paternity ever established? A DNA test is likely going to have to be done.

This is something you are going to have to deal with if you stay with him. He must pay child support according to IOWA guidelines, you might want to google them.

Thank you

Alright,
Thank you all for your responses, even if they aren't the answers I would have liked.

Yes it does suck. He wanted to be responsible in the first place and she took that away from him. He went through the stages of mourning for this child and now it is with mixed emotions he greets the news of this child. I am saddened to be a part of this.

He certainly should file for visitation. He has every right to be a part of the childs life.

I don't blame you for being upset. This would likely be a dealbreaker in any marriage.

We live in MN
Child's mother lives in Iowa
My husband and I lived in Iowa at time of the child's conception (about April/May of 2007).

My husband had an affair and the women got pregnant. I left him and moved to Minnesota. He stayed with her in order to be responsible and take care of the child. She decided she wanted nothing to do with him and then told him she had an abortion. He is very against abortion and wanted nothing to do with her after she told him this. He has since moved here to MN, and we have been undergoing counseling and trying to work on our marriage.

Two months ago, we received paperwork for child support for the child that was supposed to have been aborted. In fact the child was born in January of this year. We are in the beginning stages of this and the paternity test is scheduled for today and I am extremely anxious.

I would like to know what his legal rights are regarding this instance. I was reading on Wikipedia that in regards to father's rights:

"The concept begins with the premise that when an unwed female becomes pregnant she has the option of abortion, adoption, or parenthood; and argues, in the context of legally recognized gender equality, that in the earliest stages of pregnancy the putative (alleged) father has the right the relinquish all future parental rights and financial responsibility -- leaving the informed mother with the same three options"

I was wondering how accurate this statement is and on what legal authority?
My husband was never given this choice, the pregnancy was allegedly stopped by the mother, but come now to find out this was a blatant lie, so he was completely left out of this decision. Is he responsible for child support for this child?

I also have been looking into termination of parental rights. It is hard to get a clear understanding, but if he volunteers to give up parental rights is he obligated to pay child support? And if he is found to be obligated, is the child support is lowered from the standard because he is not going to have contact with and/or custody of the child, or does he still have to pay the full amount (percentage?)?

As you can imagine this is extremely expensive, painful, embarrassing and horrible for all involved. We are in the process of entertaining bankruptcy anyways because of the financial toll all this separating and moving, and I'm not sure we can afford another expense when we can't even afford a second car for me to drive to work.

It is ironic that the day my husband received notice that he had secured a full time position at his job he's been at for the last few months, we received this paperwork.

Our plan had been to save up enough money to pay a lawyer to help up with the bankruptcy stuff, and then work extremely hard to rebuild everything. What happens to this child support case when we are going through a bankruptcy? My husband is making a significantly higher salary now (he was mostly unemployed during the months he was with her) and I read this fact from Wikipedia as well.

"Child support guidelines are founded on the premise that children should continue to receive the same level of support that would have been available to them had the family unit remained intact."

How do they determine this? For all anyone know, he could still be unemployed if he was still with her.

Please help us understand these legal issues so I know how to proceed.
Thank you.
Hello:

He is caught between a rock and a hard place. The fling he had with the "other" woman resulted in a child. Now the medical and legal system has to identify who the child relates to by blood testing for DNA. It is unfortunate that the woman lied, but this is not uncommon.

Regarding giving up his parental rights, there is no way this could happen unless the "other" will put the child up for adoption, or one of her family members would sign adoption papers and he signs also.

Peace,

famous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back