If I am fed indicted in future, but they cannot find me then, will I be fugitive?

gringodevil

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Federal agents raided my house and seized electronics for internet drug-related activity. At some point in the future, I expect that I will be indicted, but that may be 6+ months away. I am planning a few trips out of state, and maybe a trip to mexico crossing the land border. If I am indicted while I am gone, and they cannot find me or get a hold of me at time of indictment, but they will know I am scheduled to return to work and I have a return ticket, how long before I am declared a fugitive? what kind of additional charges could that entail?

Federal agents raided my house and seized electronics for internet drug-related activity. At some point in the future, I expect that I will be indicted, but that may be 6+ months away. I am planning a few trips out of state, and maybe a trip to mexico crossing the land border. If I am indicted while I am gone, and they cannot find me or get a hold of me at time of indictment, but they will know I am scheduled to return to work and I have a return ticket, how long before I am declared a fugitive? what kind of additional charges could that entail?

You might find, as have many others, that it'll be impossible to legally exit the USA during the pendency of federal charges or a federal investigation.

How do I know?

I have represented dozens of clients who languished in purgatory while the wheels of justice SLOWLY rolled forwward.

, how long before I am declared a fugitive? what kind of additional charges could that entail?
As the old saying goes,"You can run,but you can't hide,"and that is so much more true,in cases of being wanted on federal charges.
First off,after you are indicted,your arrest/apprehension will be pursued,and if you are not found by your last known address,all FBI field offices,as well as all US Marshal Services,which by the way,covers the entire country,will be notified.At this point,you are considered a fugitive.
Additionally,you will also be placed in the NCIC(National Crime Information Center,)which covers all local law enforcement across the country.
Your best bet,now that they raided your house,and seized evidence involving drug related activity,is to stay put,and face the music as unpleasant as that alternative maybe.
There is another thing you should consider as well.Fleeing the area,only later to be arrested,will most likely have a significant effect,on the bail determination,once you go before the Judge.What this means,is that,if you considered to be a "flight risk,"and so not trusted,to make all your future court appearances,bail may,"legally' be denied altogether,but at least would be set at a significantly higher amount.
I'm not aware,of any additional charges you could face within the federal system,probably,none,but again,you being deemed a flight risk,and unable to make bail,or having bail denied outright,should be your biggest concern.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you for your input. To be clear, I have no plans of flight--and I am trying not to do anything that brings additional charges.

Also, FYI, since all of this has happened, I have left the country to Mexico, traveling on my passport card (which they failed to find while ransacking my house), and there were no issues coming or going.

Back