Medical Malpractice Idiot doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate78

I was wondering what the statute of limitations are in WI, in regards to oral surgery. I had some oral surgery in November 2006 which went very wrong. I signed a waiver prior to the surgery, while under the influence of a prescribed sedative. They did not completely put me under -- I woke up during the surgery. I heard the doctors and nurses talking about everything except the job at hand. I could feel what was occuring, and I was able to open my eyes. At this time, the doctor snapped, "Close your eyes. Give her more Verced." The messed-up surgery has caused numerous infections in my mouth, elevating my blood sugars, seriously affecting my diabetes. I have been told that I need to see a prosthetic oral surgeon in order to get dentures. My upper pallette, where my front teeth used to be, has bones sticking out, which swells and is very painful. I have some remaining bottom teeth that the doctor managed to chip off, and need to be removed also. Due to the fact that you have to pay oral surgeons at least half (or more) up front, we have been unable to take care of this matter. If anyone can help me, please reply. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,

Kate78:mad:

Wow, signing the waiver should have been done before the surgeon gave you a prescription for the sedative. Was the sedative prescribed by this surgeon? I've had people come back on me claiming I've given them information while they were medicated- but at no time had they disclosed their use of the drug to me, nor did I give the drug to them to begin with- someone else had. Wow, I'm speechless. Here's some lorazepam, come back in an hour when you're good and loopy and we'll talk about limiting my liability. Wow.

Waking up during a procedure is common- especially one performed under conscious sedation with midazolam or Versed. Also, OR talk seldom is limited to the task at hand. We once discussed the ratio distances between the planets in the solar system, only to have a consciously sedated patient chime in that Pluto was no longer a planet.

If you can seek damages from any of this, I would start by obtaining the OR record as well as records from subsequent office visits for the infections. Gather pharmacy records for antibiotics received and at what interval to show treatment and suggest your compliance. Also, does your GP have documents stating that his treatment of your diabetes was stepped up due to complications from oral infections? That would help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back