I wish to become emancipated based on my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFlores4391

I need help with a serious decision that I wish to make. I want to become emancipated because of my life at home. I can't provide the complete story but I just need to know if I am able to be emancipated. I don't have a job because my parents won't allow me to get one. I have an alternative place to live because my friend and his parents will allow me to stay with them but I am currently living at home. I ran away once and tried to live with my mom in Las Vegas but I got caught so I decided to go to SafeHouse for three weeks. I came back home and I had a situation at home where I went to a school counselor and filed a CPS report because my parents and I got into a heated discussion but it got a little physical. My step-mom wants me out of the house and I want to leave as well. I need a lot of help. Please supply some advice. I'll use it wisely and consider everything carefully. Please help.

Can your mother file for custody? I believe they have to take your wished into consideration in court.

What can social services do have you reported physical abuse? Call a social worker in your county.

No the situation wasn't that bad. I'm still currently living at home but I want to leave. My dad doesn't want me to leave but my step-mother does and I wish to leave as well. My biological mom has a restraining order on her from the incident where I tried to run away with her.

And will you be 18 in 2 days? If so, you only have to wait until you graduate from high school, presumably in June, then you can move out. An emancipation action would take longer than that. Try to grin and bear it for 2 more months. Good Luck

Not without establishing that you can support yourself.

Did you read the link? One option is living with another responsible adult (your friend's family), AS LONG AS your parents agree. If you think they would agree to emancipation, then they would probably agree to living elsewhere.

Listen I know you are in a hard spot but take it from me man. My family turned me loose at 16 and I took off into the world probably from a tougher situation than you are in. If you aren't going to be hurt GRADUATE and go to college, do not quit school and do not get sidetracked by your parents. Do not end up like me at 30 yrs old raising three kids on a bricklayers salary almost crippled from manual labor.

tough it out man concentrate on your SCHOOL and getting into college. The reward for enduring is much better than relief from some misery for a few years even.

I don't have a job

As long as this is true, you will not be emancipated. Emancipation is not granted because you have an alternate place to live; emancipation is granted because BOTH of the following are true:

1.) You are capable of self support, meaning that you are capable of paying your own rent, food, clothes, utilities, medical care, transportation, school fees and supplies, and all the other necessities of life

2.) You have a valid NEED to be emancipated. Not a want, a need. Emancipation is not and never was intended to allow kids to leave home; it was an is intended as a way to provide legal protections to those kids who, through no fault of their own, find themselves out on the street.

And don't tell me, oh, if I get emancipated I'll get a job. Emancipation is not granted because of something you'll do in the future; you need a proven history of supporting yourself.

If your parents give you permission to move out, you can move out. You will not be emancipated, but you can live anywhere that your parents give you permission to live.

I know that this situation doesn't sound serious, but I do have a need to leave. I can't write down my whole life story but I understand that I should tough it out because it's only one year but I just want to leave. My step-mother wants me out and I want to leave. I want to make a compromise with my dad. He is more understanding. I just want to live out of my house. I still want to have a relationship with my family but I can't live with them. Please I need advice.

You've gotten all the possible advice you can get. You've been given several options and avenues to pursue. You'll have to consider your options and go from there. Best of luck to you.

Understanding your situation does not change the law. Under the law, you are not a candidate for emancipation. Pleading for understanding and acknowlegement is not going to make the law go away.

You cannot be emancipated, period. You can live anywhere your parents give you permission to live, without being emancipated. You cannot live anywhere your parents do not give you permission to live, until you are 18. That is the only advice available. It is not going to change no matter how many times you ask.

Will your parents let you stay with friends more often than not? If so, you may not need to involve the courts. I went through a tough time with parents when I was 15 and 16 and just stayed over with trusted friends when I couldn't bear being at home or didn't really feel like I had a home. I stayed with one friend for so long that I ended up asking her parents to be my god parents, and they agreed happily. It wasn't always easy, but if you've got a good support system, you may be able to find a less costly and stressful solution to the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back