I was ripped off. Can you help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambam

I ordered product I saw on television that offered a 30 day trial for $30. When I ordered over the telephone I was very specific in stating that I was interested in the $30 trial advertised on TV. When I got the bill, it said my credit card had been charged $90, an amount I DID NOT agree to. The woman who took my order had signed me up for a multi-month program, which I had said NO to on the phone. I called customer service again, and the next representative I spoke to said there was nothing she could do. Yet, here I was with a bill 3-times what I'd agreed to. I couldn't accept that, so called a third time and spoke with another representative, who said all I had to do was mail back the unused portion or empty bottles approximately 45 days from when I received the product or 3 weeks from the day I spoke with her, and I would get a full refund. I DID THIS. When I did not get my refund back after a few months, I called customer service a fourth time. They man I spoke with said I hadn't sent the bottles in on time; it was a 30-day trial, so my request for a refund had been denied. I did everything I was told to by the customer service. Can I sue this company and win? How would I go about it?

Last edited:
You should call up your credit card company (assuming this was via credit) and tell them that the charges are fraudulent.

You are probably not alone and this is a well known scheme. You should send a demand letter to the company, certified return receipt, for your money. If they don't return your money then the best remedy might be to (1) take them to small claims if they are locally situated (2) file a report with the state attorney general within which this company is located.

This is a very tough situation and typically the effort involved is even more than the amount in issue and that is why companies similar to this survive in hoping that its victims dry up and go away.

Originally posted by bambam
I ordered product I saw on television that offered a 30 day trial for $30. When I ordered over the telephone I was very specific in stating that I was interested in the $30 trial advertised on TV. When I got the bill, it said my credit card had been charged $90, an amount I DID NOT agree to. The woman who took my order had signed me up for a multi-month program, which I had said NO to on the phone. I called customer service again, and the next representative I spoke to said there was nothing she could do. Yet, here I was with a bill 3-times what I'd agreed to. I couldn't accept that, so called a third time and spoke with another representative, who said all I had to do was mail back the unused portion or empty bottles approximately 45 days from when I received the product or 3 weeks from the day I spoke with her, and I would get a full refund. I DID THIS. When I did not get my refund back after a few months, I called customer service a fourth time. They man I spoke with said I hadn't sent the bottles in on time; it was a 30-day trial, so my request for a refund had been denied. I did everything I was told to by the customer service. Can I sue this company and win? How would I go about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back