I was laid off due to my position being eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheelwd

Hello, three days ago I was notified that due to budget cuts my position had been eliminated and I was laid off. This is in a company that is supposed to be based on seniority, and there were two other employees in the same position that were hired after me. When I asked why I was the one being laid off instead of one of the two employees in the same position that I had seniority over, the answer was simply "the decision was made". When I asked if my position would ever become available again he then said "not likely, no".

Today I received a call from one of the employees mentioned above notifying me that the manager that laid me off told him he had to move to my old shift (if he wanted to stay employed) because his shift was the one being eliminated. They also hired a temporary employee to help with the workload in the new 'gap'.

Is there anything that I can do? I feel as though I've been targeted with the actions they have taken. I got the Notice of Separation in writing stating it's because 1 FT position was eliminated. This is for the state of Oregon. None of my past co-workers feel this is right which is why they informed me of what happened.

I understand that Oregon is an "employment at will" state, but how does that concern a layoff?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back