I want a modification to my divorce because of having strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhonda Westaway

Jurisdiction
Iowa
I had several major strokes after the divorce decree. It's been two years now and I am better but not all the way. The judge ruled I have to leave my home in 30 days. I need more time. I have a lot of farming equipment and no help. I asked my attorney to get a modification and he refused. I think he should have done this two years ago.

I had several major strokes after the divorce decree. It's been two years now and I am better but not all the way. The judge ruled I have to leave my home in 30 days. I need more time. I have a lot of farming equipment and no help. I asked my attorney to get a modification and he refused. I think he should have done this two years ago.

It is most tragic and regrettable that your health has suffered over the past months.

If you are being evicted or foreclosed upon, there aren't many things one can do legally to avoid your eventual removal.

I suggest you see if there might be a local agency that assists people with health issues and/or disabilities with relocation.

Help may not be all that you desire, but somewhere in your state an agency can assist you.

Your job is locate the agency or agencies.

You might start by calling a local hospital and asking a social worker to help, the United Way might know something, Goodwill and the Salvation Army have knowledge that might be useful.

Good luck, I hope you are recovered sooner, rather than later.

It is most tragic and regrettable that your health has suffered over the past months.

If you are being evicted or foreclosed upon, there aren't many things one can do legally to avoid your eventual removal.

I suggest you see if there might be a local agency that assists people with health issues and/or disabilities with relocation.

Help may not be all that you desire, but somewhere in your state an agency can assist you.

Your job is locate the agency or agencies.

You might start by calling a local hospital and asking a social worker to help, the United Way might know something, Goodwill and the Salvation Army have knowledge that might be useful.

Good luck, I hope you are recovered sooner, rather than later.
I have called and emailed everyone that is available in my state. Most haven't got back to me. I have a limited amount of time before I lose everything I have worked for.

Most haven't got back to me. I have a limited amount of time before I lose everything I have worked for.

You just have to keep trying and fighting.

If you're still in the fight, you haven't lost.

If you quit the fight, you'll never win.

Because...???

Because...???

I'm having a hard time understanding what a judge ruling that you have to leave your home has to do with you seeking a modification of your divorce decree. Please explain.

The divorce decree included an order for the OP to move out of the house by (x) date. The OP has failed to do so and now wants a modification to that order to allow for more time.

When was your divorce finalized? How much extra time do you require? You have known for years that you would have to be out of the house next month...why haven't you hired someone to move your equipment to storage?

Another possibility is that the OP was ordered to move with no specific time period, so the other party to the divorce went back to court and obtained an order with a specific date...

You've read the OP's decree?

Or you're just guessing?
Nope - I believe it was clear to most folks reading it that I was presenting my "best guess" on what was in the decree, but I didn't specifically say so for the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back