i wanna be a cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlando_porrata

I was arrested 8 years ago for attempted robbery adjudication was witheld. I have always wanted to be a cop and im realy considering it now what does adjudication witheld mean.

orlando porrata said:
I was arrested 8 years ago for attempted robbery adjudication was witheld. I have always wanted to be a cop and im realy considering it now what does adjudication witheld mean.
Here is one definition:

Withheld adjudication generally refers to a decision by a judge to put a person on probation without an adjudication of guilt. It means a person is not found guilty legally by the court. If the person successfully completes the terms of probation and has no subsequent offenses, no further action with be taken on the case and the offense for which adjudication was withheld is typically not considered a prior conviction for purposes of habitual offender sentencing. If the person does not complete the terms of probation, a finding of guilty may be entered and the person may be sentenced according to the punishments defined for the offense.

If you were found guilty of a felony criminal offense, you would be inelgible for law enforcement in the USA. If the adjudication was withheld, this would not be an automatic disqualifier.

However! During the background check, a prospective employer will come across this and they will likely look into the details. Having an arrest and court action for attempted robbery - unless as a juvenile - is likely to weigh heavily against you.

The way to counter this is to show a solid history since that time ... steady work history, mature and ethical behavior, good school attendance and performance, etc.

- Carl

cop wannabe

Thank you for your reply I have already finished my 40+ page apication packet and the shield test. I have a couple more test to take though, but i know i will do good. ill post again when im an officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back