i sold a car to an ex-coworker and he hasnt finished paying me

C

C.R.Yanez

Jurisdiction
California
I sold a car i had to an ex co-worker, i have a signed contract stating that i sold the car to him and that he would give me payments on a monthly basis until the car had been fully payed. He was laid off from work and moved from the address i had of him in the contract and he still owes me $1300. ive contacted him several times thru texts and calls but he wont answer back anymore. Since i have a signed contract by him is there something i can legally do to get him to pay me?
There are also a visual witness of the transaction that can testify to it.

I sold a car i had to an ex co-worker, i have a signed contract stating that i sold the car to him and that he would give me payments on a monthly basis until the car had been fully payed. He was laid off from work and moved from the address i had of him in the contract and he still owes me $1300. ive contacted him several times thru texts and calls but he wont answer back anymore. Since i have a signed contract by him is there something i can legally do to get him to pay me?
There are also a visual witness of the transaction that can testify to it.

Whose name is on the title?

I sold a car i had to an ex co-worker, i have a signed contract stating that i sold the car to him and that he would give me payments on a monthly basis until the car had been fully payed.

So, turns out you weren't smarter than the banks that wouldn't lend him the money to buy a car.

He was laid off from work and moved from the address i had of him in the contract and he still owes me $1300. ive contacted him several times thru texts and calls but he wont answer back anymore.

No surprise there.

is there something i can legally do to get him to pay me?

You can sue him but getting a judgment against him doesn't guarantee that you'll ever get paid.

If you can't find him, you can't collect. If he has no job and no money, you can't collect. Now tell us did you sign over the title for him to put in his name? Or is it still in your name? Or did you record a lien on the title?

It's not your business, as a private seller, to provide financing to a buyer.

Unfortunately you learned a hard lesson. Did you sign the title over to this "ex-co-worker"?

Back