I paid an autoshop to break my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananana

Recently my car had been experiencing major problems, turning off randomly while I drove it, but always turning back on. I decided to take it to an autoshop where it was deduced that my car needed a new PCM unit (Powertrain Control Module, or car computer), costing me $722. After getting my car back, and literally driving it up the road for no more than 5 minutes, my car COMPLETELY broke down, and would not even turn back on. I had it towed back to the autoshop, where they then told me "coincidentally" another problem occurred and now I needed a new distributor, costing another $ 600. I took it elsewhere for repairs and a second opinion, and it was discovered that the PCM unit installed in my car was faulty, not reacting properly with the new distributor, and it had to be replaced. So I took the part back to the first place and asked for a refund, to which they told me they would have to send the part back to the dealership it was bought from to be investigated. A few days later they refused to give me ANY of my money back, saying that the warranty on the part was not a money back warranty, only a warranty to replace the part, which I was never even aware of. I am not sure if any of this is legal, or if I have enough grounds to form a lawsuit.

Before thinking about a lawsuit (which isn't an easy winner), contact your local newspaper and television station and ask to speak with the consumer affairs reporter or investigator.

You can also speak with someone at the Better Business Bureau.

A lawsuit is lengthy.

It is often frustrating.

Try the two options above, first.

This is a common type of warranty. Unless you got osmething in writing assuring a money back warranty you don't have much of an argument to make. Read over any service orders you signed when you authorized the work and you will likely find language regarding a parts swap as they are suggesting.. Let them return the part and do what you can to make sure you are getting a NEW part for that price.

A PCM, depending on the car, can be found used for a very small fraction of that price! Don't pay for a new part and get a used one from Ebay or some other source.

It doesn't sound like you are being wronged unless they are screwing you on the price and giving you an old/used part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back