Criminal Law i need help on being charged for petty larceny

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtrouble

i was caught shoplifting a good worth $25, and was arrested. the cops took me to the police station finger printed me and took my photograph. i have a court hearing 2 weeks from now. please may you tell me what i am supposed to do. do i have to get a lawyer at this stage. and one more important fact is that of my h1. my papers just went through last week. over there there was a question have you been arrested ... i answered as no since it was just few days before this incident.
for now my primary concern is how should i prepare myself for the court hearing to try my best so that is does not have adverse effects on my h1 processing.
please help i have noone else to ask.

get a criminal defense attorney who has experience with immigration law. He will try to get a disposition that is least problematic for your immigration status. Most probably you can avoid inadmissibility under the "one time misdemeanor" exception you can read about here in this thread. But if your attorney could get the case dismissed it would be even better

thnx for the reply nyclex. i did contact a lawyer who called up the court and fixed a new date when the district attorney would also be present. all this is in the hope that the matter could be settled....hopefully for some violation?!?!?
here is the letter:
###############################
i will be representing XXXXXX in the above matter pending before court. i request on behalf of XXXXXX to the court to plea of not guilty. i am also including appearence ticket for your reference.
persuent to my telephone conversation with the court clerk, i understand that the assistant district attorney will be present on DATE i request to the court to adjourn the above matter to DATE for conference and disposition.
###############################
well thats the letter the lawyer will be sending to the court. could you please tell me how this whole thing sounds.
thnx in advance.
though i have an attorney...i would really appriciate your help and advise.

i want to understand what pre-trial probation means.... i have read it on a few threads. does it mean that i can get the case dismissed if i get through the probation period sucessfully. i just want to know what are the chances of me getting the case dismissed. i think they have me on camera. so does it make sense to go for trial? waiting for a reply.
thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back