i married with an assumed identity. I told my husband 5 years later.

isangelm1

Jurisdiction
Florida
I had assumed the identity of my cousin, who is now deceased, when I fled from an abusive relationship from another state. Met my husband, dated for two years and then we got married and I used the identity I had assumed. Five years later, I told him the truth. we have been married since 2007. is this a valid marriage if we both want to stay in the marriage? is there a way to remedy? cannot divorce and remarry with real name because the woman he would divorce is dead. would marrying with real name create a bigamy or is there a way to legalize what we are considering to be a ratified marriage?

Where do we start?

I had assumed the identity of my cousin, who is now deceased, when I fled from an abusive relationship from another state. Met my husband, dated for two years and then we got married and I used the identity I had assumed. Five years later, I told him the truth. we have been married since 2007. is this a valid marriage if we both want to stay in the marriage? is there a way to remedy? cannot divorce and remarry with real name because the woman he would divorce is dead. would marrying with real name create a bigamy or is there a way to legalize what we are considering to be a ratified marriage?

Where do we start?

You need a lawyer's guidance before you do anything.
What you've done is going to be a very big problem for you.
The man you married is completely innocent.
You, however, talk to a lawyer, ASAP.
Do it tomorrow, December 16, Friday, good luck.

We don't know all the facts. For now we know you married under a fake name / identity and/or forged ID. You also mention bigamy. If you were married under your real name, the marriage under your fake name might not even be valid. Each state has requirements or grounds for annulment and bigamy is included in Florida. You should speak to an attorney as advised above.

You need a lawyer's guidance before you do anything.
What you've done is going to be a very big problem for you.
The man you married is completely innocent.
You, however, talk to a lawyer, ASAP.
Do it tomorrow, December 16, Friday, good luck.
I have already been convicted and served a sentence for the false identity. what we want is to legalize the marriage OR be able to remarry with my real name. He was completely innocent, but once I came clean, he was angry, but never considered leaving or divorcing or ending the marriage.. in fact he was very supportive during my incarceration and our "marriage" has been emotionally unaffected since my release... it actually kind of strengthened our bond. We just want to legalize our situation one way or another

We don't know all the facts. For now we know you married under a fake name / identity and/or forged ID. You also mention bigamy. If you were married under your real name, the marriage under your fake name might not even be valid. Each state has requirements or grounds for annulment and bigamy is included in Florida. You should speak to an attorney as advised above.
I was not married. my concern with bigamy is him becoming a bigamist by marrying real me while married to fake me. I know that in some states the situation would be that you would be considered to marry the person, not the name... but in FL, even attorneys I have consulted have not been able to clarify what the case is in FL

I was not married. my concern with bigamy is him becoming a bigamist by marrying real me while married to fake me. I know that in some states the situation would be that you would be considered to marry the person, not the name... but in FL, even attorneys I have consulted have not been able to clarify what the case is in FL

I don't see bigamy as an issue.
However, what you failed to reveal is that you were charged, arrested, convicted, and incarcerated for some form of identity theft.
It appears it was a felony, because you mention prison.

However, because you are a convicted felon, the easiest solution might be that he files for divorce.
In fact, it can be dome by either or you, and if done correctly, you can be divorced within 30-60 days.

Once you're divorced, you simply remarry, this time using your REAL name.
FL domestic law isn't my specialty, so as suggested both of you should speak with two or three FL, licensed family law attorneys, together.

There might be an even easier way.
Don't try an annulment, these days divorces are quicker, and cheaper.
No need to blab to your friends, just quietly, discretely work together to remedy your dilemma.

That was our original thought, but WHO
I don't see bigamy as an issue.
However, what you failed to reveal is that you were charged, arrested, convicted, and incarcerated for some form of identity theft.
It appears it was a felony, because you mention prison.

However, because you are a convicted felon, the easiest solution might be that he files for divorce.
In fact, it can be dome by either or you, and if done correctly, you can be divorced within 30-60 days.

Once you're divorced, you simply remarry, this time using your REAL name.
FL domestic law isn't my specialty, so as suggested both of you should speak with two or three FL, licensed family law attorneys, together.

There might be an even easier way.
Don't try an annulment, these days divorces are quicker, and cheaper.
No need to blab to your friends, just quietly, discretely work together to remedy your dilemma.

That was our original thought, but WHO would he divorce since she never married him, she is deceased and she is not me,,,,, That is where the confusion comes in because we do not want to even think about engaging in anything that could even remotely look fraudulent in the resolution. so here we are

That was our original thought, but WHO would he divorce since she never married him, she is deceased and she is not me,,,,, That is where the confusion comes in because we do not want to even think about engaging in anything that could even remotely look fraudulent in the resolution. so here we are

Again, tis is WHY we can't help you FINISH this.
You must see a FL licensed criminal defense attorney, or a family law attorney.
The lawyer will walk you and your man through the steps, or do them for you.
It will take time and patience, cost some money, so be sure you ask the lawyer how much, and how long.

Also, meet with three, then pick one.
If none is to your liking, meet with thee more, then pick the ONE.

Be aware, maybe HE should get the divorce, using the name of the woman he married.

Once he's divorced, you're divorced.
This time, if you use your real name, there should be no problems.
Also, get married in Nevada, its easier, and cheaper.

Also, stop saying she's dead.
That could cause some young, energetic prosecutor to start pokinga round in places you don't want anyone poking.

Again, tis is WHY we can't help you FINISH this.
You must see a FL licensed criminal defense attorney, or a family law attorney.
The lawyer will walk you and your man through the steps, or do them for you.
It will take time and patience, cost some money, so be sure you ask the lawyer how much, and how long.

Also, meet with three, then pick one.
If none is to your liking, meet with thee more, then pick the ONE.

Be aware, maybe HE should get the divorce, using the name of the woman he married.

Once he's divorced, you're divorced.
This time, if you use your real name, there should be no problems.
Also, get married in Nevada, its easier, and cheaper.

Also, stop saying she's dead.
That could cause some young, energetic prosecutor to start pokinga round in places you don't want anyone poking.
Can we proceed through mediation?

Can we proceed through mediation?

Florida is a "no fault" divorce state.
Either spouse can file for a divorce without offering a reason for the divorce, other than the spouses don't want to be married anymore.

The spouse filing for a divorce only needs to state that the marriage is "irretrievably broken."

Mediation isn't required.

How to File for Divorce in Florida | Rocket Lawyer

Florida Divorce Online | Papers for Divorce in Florida
Florida Online Divorce

Back