I lent out my cell phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

quuen

I've learned a valuable lesson, never give anyone anything....Oh how i wish i had known this before. I made a verbal agreement with a friend on making payments of a cell phone that i lent him. However when he went over his minutes and the bill climbed he stopped paying. I lost touch with him and he moved out of the house he was living in. I tried taking him to small claims court but he never showed up. Now I have no idea of how to find him but i know he is still living in Ny. I didnt proceed with the claim the first time bc the final bill had not yet been processed and therefore the amount was still climbing. I haven't returned to file another claim bc i dont know where he is staying therefore he cant get the paper to come to court. What can i do this is destroying my credit. The bill has totaled to over 1000 dollars.

Nothing that you can do until you locate him. Additionally, you might not be able to take him to small claims court since the defendant generally must reside in the jurisdiction in which you are taking him/her to court. You may need to hire a search service to find this person but it may not be worth the cost.

This is a difficult lesson to learn. You may be able to recover all the costs incurred in finding this person and bringing him to court. However, you will have to front the money.

Originally posted by quuen
I've learned a valuable lesson, never give anyone anything....Oh how i wish i had known this before. I made a verbal agreement with a friend on making payments of a cell phone that i lent him. However when he went over his minutes and the bill climbed he stopped paying. I lost touch with him and he moved out of the house he was living in. I tried taking him to small claims court but he never showed up. Now I have no idea of how to find him but i know he is still living in Ny. I didnt proceed with the claim the first time bc the final bill had not yet been processed and therefore the amount was still climbing. I haven't returned to file another claim bc i dont know where he is staying therefore he cant get the paper to come to court. What can i do this is destroying my credit. The bill has totaled to over 1000 dollars.

Originally posted by michael
True but I think that was done and the collection issue is the big problem here!! :D

Definitely, I just got the impression that the account either wasn't cancelled or was not cancelled soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back