I know it is UNETHICAL, but is it against the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoBear

A customer of ours wanted to offer me a position at their company. It's a higher ranking position and the salary is significantly higher (almost $20,000 higher). In order to be as honest and upfront about the issue as possible, I went to my boss first and asked permission; I was given the OK by him to submit my resume for the position.

I was recently informed that the customer is now taking back the offer, because they were e-mailed by our general manager and asked not to, with the reason being: "We can not afford to lose [my name] at this time. We've invested a lot to bring her here and already her department is short-handed." I have the email.

So basically my company is squashing a MUCH better opportunity for me by using political influence and more or less the threat of their business. Is that legal? Is there something I can do?

A customer of ours wanted to offer me a position at their company. It's a higher ranking position and the salary is significantly higher (almost $20,000 higher). In order to be as honest and upfront about the issue as possible, I went to my boss first and asked permission; I was given the OK by him to submit my resume for the position.

I was recently informed that the customer is now taking back the offer, because they were e-mailed by our general manager and asked not to, with the reason being: "We can not afford to lose [my name] at this time. We've invested a lot to bring her here and already her department is short-handed." I have the email.

So basically my company is squashing a MUCH better opportunity for me by using political influence and more or less the threat of their business. Is that legal? Is there something I can do?

You could sue your current employer.

If you did that, your employer would find a LEGAL way to terminate you sooner, rather than later!

The potential employer might be covering their butts with you, too!

If they wanted to hire you, they could.

So, you could press the potential employer to hire you anyway.

You might want to look for other employment anyway.

The cat is out of the bag, you're looking.

Your employer is probably looking for a way to let you go anyway.

You broke one of my rules.

Never ask permission for anything.

Its always easier to seek forgiveness.

Good luck on your job hunt.

Thank you both for the advice, specifically Proserpina.

Unfortunately, Army Judge, I don't understand what you mean by this: The potential employer might be covering their butts with you, too! Please clarify.

They company DOES want to hire me, but doesn't want to raise hackles, which is obviously what would happen if they offered me the position. They don't want to jeapordize the positive relationship they have with my current company.

Also, this comment is OBVIOUSLY incorrect and seemingly mean spirited: Your employer is probably looking for a way to let you go anyway.
If you had read my entire post, you would know that they had the opportunity to let me go, but because of the reasons the GM listed, they don't want me to leave and prefer that I stay.

I let the cat out of the bag myself when I asked permission six months ago. I plan to look for another job only because I now know the company I work for is unethical. It should be MY choice where I work.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Thank you both for the advice, specifically Proserpina.

Unfortunately, Army Judge, I don't understand what you mean by this: The potential employer might be covering their butts with you, too! Please clarify.

They company DOES want to hire me, but doesn't want to raise hackles, which is obviously what would happen if they offered me the position. They don't want to jeapordize the positive relationship they have with my current company.

Also, this comment is OBVIOUSLY incorrect and seemingly mean spirited: Your employer is probably looking for a way to let you go anyway.
If you had read my entire post, you would know that they had the opportunity to let me go, but because of the reasons the GM listed, they don't want me to leave and prefer that I stay.

I let the cat out of the bag myself when I asked permission six months ago. I plan to look for another job only because I now know the company I work for is unethical. It should be MY choice where I work.

Thanks for the well wishes.

They might be seeking your replacement, now that they KNOW you are seeking other employment.
Sure, they'll say anything until they get someone to replace you.
If they had your best interests at heart, they'd wish you well and congratulate you on getting a better paying job.
Or, they'd offer you a raise, because they see how valuable another company thinks you are!

The potential employer might just be stringing you along, by blaming your current employer.
They want to appear nice to you, by saying we wish we could hire you, we really do.
They could HIRE you at the rate they promised you.
Ask them why they suddenly retracted the offer.

You need not explain why you want to work anywhere.
I hope you get a $1,000,000 raise, if someone pays you that.
It is YOUR life.
Live it as you see fit.
I know employers can be petty and small, especially when you try to better yourself.

I am not a life counselor.
I'm a lawyer.
I gave you legal advice.
You're free to use it or ignore it.

Your current employer is mad.
I don't know why.
They should wish you well and help you move on.
No, they screwed your deal.
Why not ask them why they saw fit to screw you out of a $20,000 raise?
They haven't made a counter-offer, have they?
That tells me they'll let you go when they hire your replacement.
Anyway, best of luck to you.
Don't let either of these creeps stand in your way.
Go get what you seek.

Last edited:
It not only legal, it is perfectly ethical. I'm sure you don't like it, and neither would I but they have every right to ask the customer not to hire you if they wish.

Last edited:
You now have negotiating room with your current employer to ask for more money....becoming very common again....employers are having a hard time keeping their best talent...now that you have a better offer in hand, ask what your current employer will do keep you IF you were to turn down the offer....it's called negotiations....;)

This is still an employer's job market; if the employee were to leave, there would be a list of applications for the job a mile long ten minutes later.

A friend of mine is currently hiring for a new location. There are 200 jobs open. On the FIRST DAY they had the jobs posted, they received 8,000 applications.

I really do not think that threatening the employer with "what would you do if I left" is going to accomplish anything that will benefit the employee.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

After taking armyjudge's advice and asking my boss first hand why they decided to screw me out of 20k -- I paraphrased, naturally -- he said he had no idea about the situation and planned to "see what he could do."

I now have a meeting this afternoon with my boss, the GM and HR. I was told they will have an offer for me then. It probably won't be nearly as substantial, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

After taking armyjudge's advice and asking my boss first hand why they decided to screw me out of 20k -- I paraphrased, naturally -- he said he had no idea about the situation and planned to "see what he could do."

I now have a meeting this afternoon with my boss, the GM and HR. I was told they will have an offer for me then. It probably won't be nearly as substantial, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks again!

Fancy that, just fancy that!

A bird in the hand...

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back