I have my sick mother's Power of Attorney and have problem evict freeloading relative

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayhil

Hi,

I have Power of Attorney for my mother's estate including real estate. My Mom moved into a Nursing Home and I am still trying to evict freeloading relative. She pays no rent and no utilities - nada. I have already hired lawyer, given her 30 days notice (that ended almost a month ago), and filed eviction with NH court. She is still contesting - delay and stall and freeload is her motto. She has no money to pay electrical bills but has hired a lawyer. In the meantime my Mom has gotten very ill and I have been notified that her remaining time is short.

My Mom has left a probate will - everything to my brother, my sister and me - including the house. What happens to the freeloader under these circumstances? Will her eviction proceed? Or does she get to stay because my PofA will no longer be valid? My sister and I want her out but fear that our Mom's death will mean she gets to contest? She is mentioned in the will - she gets a piece of jewelry.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that mom us ailing. I pray she will recover.

As far as the eviction, if mom should pass, nothing changes. You're operating as her agent. The eviction should proceed.

Mom's death would change many things. The eviction wouldn't be one of them. Let your lawyer do the job you have hired him/her to accomplish.

Hi,

I have Power of Attorney for my mother's estate including real estate. My Mom moved into a Nursing Home and I am still trying to evict freeloading relative. She pays no rent and no utilities - nada. I have already hired lawyer, given her 30 days notice (that ended almost a month ago), and filed eviction with NH court. She is still contesting - delay and stall and freeload is her motto. She has no money to pay electrical bills but has hired a lawyer. In the meantime my Mom has gotten very ill and I have been notified that her remaining time is short.

My Mom has left a probate will - everything to my brother, my sister and me - including the house. What happens to the freeloader under these circumstances? Will her eviction proceed? Or does she get to stay because my PofA will no longer be valid? My sister and I want her out but fear that our Mom's death will mean she gets to contest? She is mentioned in the will - she gets a piece of jewelry.

Hi - I am a Producer for a new television talk show. We are doing an episode that respectfully discusses the issue of freeloading relatives. If we (meaning you and I) decide that your story and our show are a good fit, we would provide round-trip air to NYC + hotel. We will also have an expert on the show to give advice on how to solve "freeloader" issues. If you'd like to speak with me about this, please call Rich at 212-419-7485. Thanks, Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back