I gave my notice to quit and now she won't let me work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

erichouston84

I gave my notice that I was quitting and now my boss won't let me work my scheduled days. Does she still have to pay me for these days even though she is making me take them off?

She has no legal obligation to pay you for any time beyond the last day you actually worked, EVEN IF you gave notice beyond that date and EVEN IF she is the one who decided you would not work those days.

No, as a matter of fact your state is the most employee friendly state in the US.

But only one state ever requires an employer to pay an employee past the last day they worked regardless of notice, and even in that one state (which is not California) that requirement only exists in very limited situations. The law simply does not, in ANY state (even the state where the exception exists) require an employee to be paid for a notice period they did not work, regardless of whose decision it was that it not be worked.

I appreciate the information on this topic. Is there any OTHER recourse that I can take to keep from getting screwed out of my money?

Ask your new job if you can start earlier. Or apply for unemployment for the missing days.

There is NOTHING in the law that is going to force the old employer to pay you for that time.

You can apply for unemployment.
You won't get it.
You voluntarily left your employment.

Not always true. In many states, if an employee gives notice and is not allowed work out that notice, they can collect UI for the notice period minus whatever waiting period the state may have.

In any case, there is no harm applying - the worst the state can say is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back