I called trouble to myself. this is the stupidest thing I've ever done, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hey guys,
Am renting a basement apartment I didn't know it was illegal, honestly am 20 years old I don't know
How all this apartment and housing things works, I was having problems with the heat my landlord refuse assist me with the problem, the basement apartment was the same temperture outside it was really cold plus I kept getting sick, I really needed help getting heat in my house, plus the plug in heater I brought stopped working properly, so I was talking to a friends and she told me to call 311 and report it, she said 311 will send some people to help me fix the heat I did as she adviced two weeks later they came I let the guy in and he started talking about how the basement is illegal and I have the move out ASAP, i kept telling him I was fine and I don't wanna move out I have no where else to go I started crying then he told me everything was gonna be ok, so trusted his words and didn't tell the landlord about it, three weeks later the landlord call me saying he got a letter from the housing service and that they said I have less then two weeks today is the 5 I have till the 25 of December to move out, my landlord also said that she fine him for 4000 dollars. Now I have to move out am a college student and I part time worker I don't make that much money, this place is the cheapest place I could afford (500 dollars) I don't know what to do please help me I know what I did was stupid but I swear I didn't know they did inspection also. P.s I live on Staten Island so due to hurricane sandy a lot of houses were damage so it's gonna be hard for me to find an apartment now 

Hey guys,
Am renting a basement apartment I didn't know it was illegal, honestly am 20 years old I don't know
How all this apartment and housing things works, I was having problems with the heat my landlord refuse assist me with the problem, the basement apartment was the same temperture outside it was really cold plus I kept getting sick, I really needed help getting heat in my house, plus the plug in heater I brought stopped working properly, so I was talking to a friends and she told me to call 311 and report it, she said 311 will send some people to help me fix the heat I did as she adviced two weeks later they came I let the guy in and he started talking about how the basement is illegal and I have the move out ASAP, i kept telling him I was fine and I don't wanna move out I have no where else to go I started crying then he told me everything was gonna be ok, so trusted his words and didn't tell the landlord about it, three weeks later the landlord call me saying he got a letter from the housing service and that they said I have less then two weeks today is the 5 I have till the 25 of December to move out, my landlord also said that she fine him for 4000 dollars. Now I have to move out am a college student and I part time worker I don't make that much money, this place is the cheapest place I could afford (500 dollars) I don't know what to do please help me I know what I did was stupid but I swear I didn't know they did inspection also. P.s I live on Staten Island so due to hurricane sandy a lot of houses were damage so it's gonna be hard for me to find an apartment now 

You don't have a legal problem.
You have a personal problem.
The legal system (and/or government) worked fine, and shut down an illegal rental.
Nothing wrong with what you did.

NYC has the "one shot deal" to help people in your situation.
This is their website:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/programs/one-shot_deal.shtml

I suggest you contact your college and see if they can help you with temporary or emergency housing.
You could also try the Salvation Army.
Or, dial "311" and they can help you with emergency assitance and food.

Here is their website:
http://www.nyc.gov/apps/311/allServ...intentId=E9E66310-8137-11DE-8E9F-96DAE110FEB8

Keep your head up, and follow these leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back