I bumped a car and driver might be looking for cash settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymes

I was moving my Jeep yesterday out of a tight spot and I bumped into the car in front of me. A man comes out of the car and starts yelling at me. I apologize. We look at his car and there is no damage to his vehicle. He tells me to "have a good day". I'm thinking the issue is resolved.

Later that day I go to my car and find a note requesting that I contact him. I assume he wants some type of cash settlement.

What would you do in this situation? Can he report that I hit and run his vehicle. Again there is no damage to his car, at least when we both looked at it.

This happened in Brooklyn NY.

06bd518d0598269d557e64795e1772d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have this guys plates. His tone totally changed after we inspected his car. So I didn't want to escalate the already seemingly defused situation by taking pictures of his car/plates.

I suppose I could contact him and let him know I'm calling my insurance company. I could also contact the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Report this to your insurance and don't contact the other driver.

Your policy requires you to report it and you risk losing your insurance by trying to handle it yourself.

What would you do in this situation?

Did this alleged incident occur on public property (as in the highways, lowways, and byways of a governmental authority, or the private property of a parking lot (as in off the public roadways)?

The way to avoid being your pickle is to maintain insurance to protect me from ending up in the "monkey barrel" in which you now find yourself.

In the future, report every contact your vehicle(s) make with other motor vehicles, stationary objects, and pedestrians to the police (and your insurer) the moment you can after the incident occurs.

Always report any motor vehicle incident (on private or public property) to the appropriate law enforcement agency, as well as your insurer, and document such contact.

Perhaps you can do that now?

The OP was insured.

Yes, but he alleges not reporting the matter to his insurer and the local constabulary.

He seems "befuddled" as to what to do now.

Skating is best done in a controlled environment, I think they're referred to as roller rinks.

Thank you for caring.

Merry Christmas.

NY only requires an accident report if the aggregate damage exceeds $1000.
He needs to report it to his insurance. There shouldn't be any issues with this if they don't pay out.

Since this only took place two days ago, it's not too late for either of these reports. The accident report is due in ten days, and most insurers will give you 30 days under the policy terms though they'd obviously like to hear about it as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back