I am paid one dollar less for the same job, what can I do?

fairwagesplease

I work for the United States Postal Service as a Casual. I have worked for the same distribution center for 3 years. My pay has been at 11.00 dollars for the entire time. I recently found out that new casuals that were hired recently are recieving 12.00 an hour for the same rate and pay. I am being paid less for the same job as well as I have been working here for 3 years. What can I do?

If you have a union or other contract that is being breached, you talk to your union rep.

Otherwise, if you like you can *politely* ask for a raise. If they give it to you, fine. If they don't, you either suck it up or you find other work that will pay you more.

There is nothing in the law that says all employees in the same job must be paid equally - the law says only that IF employees are paid differently, the differences cannot be based on race, religion, gender etc. How long you have been in the job is not a characteristic protected by law. Due to market compression, it is (sadly) neither uncommon nor illegal for newly hired employees to be paid more than those who have been in the job a while.

STRONGLY recommend that if you ask for a raise, you do it on the basis of your own value to the employer and NOT based on "so-and-so gets more". THAT can get you fired. Legally.

I work for the United States Postal Service as a Casual. I have worked for the same distribution center for 3 years. My pay has been at 11.00 dollars for the entire time. I recently found out that new casuals that were hired recently are recieving 12.00 an hour for the same rate and pay. I am being paid less for the same job as well as I have been working here for 3 years. What can I do?

Have you asked your supervisor, HR, or manager about this?
If not, politely ask for a raise.

Don't say, "Joe is a new hire, He's getting $15.00 an hour, so I want $16.00 an hour. If you don't give me a raise, I'll cause a ruckus among us!"

Do say, "Hi, Boss. I've worked here for three years. I haven't had a raise in all that time. What can I do to receive a raise? I love working here, and you've taught me so much. Please, tell me how I can get a raise. Thank you, boss."

If you have a union or other contract that is being breached, you talk to your union rep.

Otherwise, if you like you can *politely* ask for a raise. If they give it to you, fine. If they don't, you either suck it up or you find other work that will pay you more.

There is nothing in the law that says all employees in the same job must be paid equally - the law says only that IF employees are paid differently, the differences cannot be based on race, religion, gender etc. How long you have been in the job is not a characteristic protected by law. Due to market compression, it is (sadly) neither uncommon nor illegal for newly hired employees to be paid more than those who have been in the job a while.

STRONGLY recommend that if you ask for a raise, you do it on the basis of your own value to the employer and NOT based on "so-and-so gets more". THAT can get you fired. Legally.

LOL
Just LOL.
Read my response, LOL.

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty much told by my point of contact with the USPS that there is nothing I can do about it, or I can re apply for the same position for the new pay rate.

Thanks for the responses. I was pretty much told by my point of contact with the USPS that there is nothing I can do about it, or I can re apply for the same position for the new pay rate.

Well, how do you think some unknown, unofficial people like us can help?
We have NO authority over the USPS, or any other agency, entity, or person.
So, you have your answer straight from the hose's mouth, not his YOU KNOW WHAT. LOL

The job market when you were hired is different than the job market when they were hired. Imagine all the carriers making a lot more than any of you.

Well - those are your choices then.

Back