Husband not on lease

Jessicafaith

Jurisdiction
Indiana
My husband and i moved into a house in 2013. I was the only one on the lease but we lived there together until he moved in 2016 and i stayed until december of 2016. The landlord is sueing for damages my husband caused to the home. Am i going to be soley responsible for this? We are in the middle of a divorce.

My husband and i moved into a house in 2013. I was the only one on the lease but we lived there together until he moved in 2016 and i stayed until december of 2016. The landlord is sueing for damages my husband caused to the home. Am i going to be soley responsible for this? We are in the middle of a divorce.

You're the lawful leaseholder.

I don't predict outcomes of lawsuits.

I'm not that smart.

If I were representing your landlord, I'd recommend suing you.

Any damages your soon to be former husband is alleged to have caused, you'll have to go after him for any potential recovery.

You can sue your former husband, after the divorce has concluded.

Unless the SOL would bar such a lawsuit.

If that's the case, you can try to negotiate a settlement for the alleged damages during the current divorce proceedings.

That's probably going to get pushback from his lawyer.

Spouses are immune from those kinds of lawsuits.

Frankly, getting a divorce from someone I despised would be reward enough for me.

He doesnt
You're the lawful leaseholder.

I don't predict outcomes of lawsuits.

I'm not that smart.

If I were representing your landlord, I'd recommend suing you.

Any damages your soon to be former husband is alleged to have caused, you'll have to go after him for any potential recovery.

You can sue your former husband, after the divorce has concluded.

Unless the SOL would bar such a lawsuit.

If that's the case, you can try to negotiate a settlement for the alleged damages during the current divorce proceedings.

That's probably going to get pushback from his lawyer.

Spouses are immune from those kinds of lawsuits.

Frankly, getting a divorce from someone I despised would be reward enough for me.

He doesn't have an attorney:)

You're the only one on the lease, you are responsible for anything that happened to the place caused by any occupant that you let live there.

You are free to seek indemnification from your husband as part of your divorce decree while you might still get an offset of some joint assets.

Suing an empty pot after the divorce only guarantees you an empty pot.

Back