Husband abandoned, left me with no $$, closed joint chk'g acct. I've got lawyer - he does nothing!

angfisher25

Jurisdiction
California
I have used TheLaw.com a few times and it's the only site that I really get responses, I get them quickly, I believe people really care, and I don't feel ignored! All the other sites -- I have to wait and wait, and it doesn't seem like there are any REAL answers. So thank you everyone for being here.

I will be back, as I have MANY questions concerning my situation! I have an attorney, but he obviously doesn't have time for my case (he knows I don't have much $$, so he's paying attention to his Beverly Hills clients first, I guess.)

I am in the middle of a divorce, except not postitive what's going on because the Court put a restraining order against my husband at his arrainment... I guess Court did that because my husband asked to reschedule that arraingment and wouldn't plea?? Not sure, but the restraining order causes me to not obtain answers from him, not get any $$ I need (not like he would give it to me anyway). The RO is even good for my husband because he thinks that's perfect to avoid talking to me.

Here are the FACTS: He abandoned the household, the wife, the dog back in February. He kept coming back like once a month. He was lying to me about wanting to get back together -- he was just tired of staying at his mother's and he wanted to come home. I fell for it. It only lasted one week, and I caught on to his game and he left. I had to call 911 again that night as he threatened me, pushed me down, etc. and he is PISSED about that, he thinks I did it for no reason.

Ok... so question, how can he just CLOSE our joint account, NOT speak to me, NOT give me any $$ to pay the bills that HE has always paid for? Pretend like he fell off the face of the Earth, is still as we speak messing around with other women, not giving me a penny and claiming he is broke -- HE IS NOT BROKE!! HE HAS PLENTY, SO MUCH SO THAT HE HAS NOT HAD TO WORK IN FOUR YEARS.

So HOW CAN HE DO THAT and get away with it??!! We are STILL 100 % MARRIED. We are at Step 1 in the process of divorce, which has like 10 stages. He is getting away with murder. We always had a lovely lifestyle, comfortable, nice... now I have no $$ to feed dog and he is living with his mother in Bev. Hills getting ALL paind for.

Question: WHAT CAN I DO IMMENDIATELY TO GET HELP?? Attorney sucks, I am scared, he thinks he has all the power -- he never did understand the concept of marriage and now he is living the free life and it REALLY, HONESTLY, FOR SURE does not bother him one bit. He has broken my heart to pieces... but most importantly, I need to get my money owed me, AND the money that pays our bills, he needs to put those back in his name!! He has screwed me...HOW CAN SOMEONE GET AWAY WITH THAT? CLOSING A BANK ACCOUNT, STEALING MY CC, TOTALLY L-A-E-V-I-N-G AND ABANDONING and leaving me with NOTHING.

That is what bothers me the most... he is so arrogant and narcisistic, he really does not think he has done anything wrong. He says, "But I don't have any money so I can't pay this bill." Sorry, but "being broke" does not excuse someone for not paying the bills he has always paid, or EVERYONE would be doing it, right?!

I'm so scared. What can I do RIGHT NOW?! It's not against the law to close a joint acct. without asking the other spouse on account, but WHY NOT!??

Ok... so question, how can he just CLOSE our joint account, NOT speak to me, NOT give me any $$ to pay the bills that HE has always paid for?

Either of you has access to a joint account. It is not illegal to withdraw from it or even close it. Hold on to any proof you have of withdrawals and the closing of the account and he can be made to answer for this money later in divorce proceedings.

Question: WHAT CAN I DO IMMENDIATELY TO GET HELP??

Liquidate whatever assets you might have to get spending money. Family and friends might offer help, but that often goes bad.
If you are not satisfied with the attorney then find another. If you aren't paying them they aren't obligated to do much. There are many resources available for victims of domestic violence. Any law enforcement agency should be able to give you contact information for assistance if you are unable to find anything on your own. If you previously made a report of domestic violence, which this sounds like, you should have been given that information at that time.

I have used TheLaw.com a few times and it's the only site that I really get responses, I get them quickly, I believe people really care, and I don't feel ignored! All the other sites -- I have to wait and wait, and it doesn't seem like there are any REAL answers. So thank you everyone for being here.

I will be back, as I have MANY questions concerning my situation! I have an attorney, but he obviously doesn't have time for my case (he knows I don't have much $$, so he's paying attention to his Beverly Hills clients first, I guess.)

I am in the middle of a divorce, except not postitive what's going on because the Court put a restraining order against my husband at his arrainment... I guess Court did that because my husband asked to reschedule that arraingment and wouldn't plea?? Not sure, but the restraining order causes me to not obtain answers from him, not get any $$ I need (not like he would give it to me anyway). The RO is even good for my husband because he thinks that's perfect to avoid talking to me.

Here are the FACTS: He abandoned the household, the wife, the dog back in February. He kept coming back like once a month. He was lying to me about wanting to get back together -- he was just tired of staying at his mother's and he wanted to come home. I fell for it. It only lasted one week, and I caught on to his game and he left. I had to call 911 again that night as he threatened me, pushed me down, etc. and he is PISSED about that, he thinks I did it for no reason.

Ok... so question, how can he just CLOSE our joint account, NOT speak to me, NOT give me any $$ to pay the bills that HE has always paid for? Pretend like he fell off the face of the Earth, is still as we speak messing around with other women, not giving me a penny and claiming he is broke -- HE IS NOT BROKE!! HE HAS PLENTY, SO MUCH SO THAT HE HAS NOT HAD TO WORK IN FOUR YEARS.

So HOW CAN HE DO THAT and get away with it??!! We are STILL 100 % MARRIED. We are at Step 1 in the process of divorce, which has like 10 stages. He is getting away with murder. We always had a lovely lifestyle, comfortable, nice... now I have no $$ to feed dog and he is living with his mother in Bev. Hills getting ALL paind for.

Question: WHAT CAN I DO IMMENDIATELY TO GET HELP?? Attorney sucks, I am scared, he thinks he has all the power -- he never did understand the concept of marriage and now he is living the free life and it REALLY, HONESTLY, FOR SURE does not bother him one bit. He has broken my heart to pieces... but most importantly, I need to get my money owed me, AND the money that pays our bills, he needs to put those back in his name!! He has screwed me...HOW CAN SOMEONE GET AWAY WITH THAT? CLOSING A BANK ACCOUNT, STEALING MY CC, TOTALLY L-A-E-V-I-N-G AND ABANDONING and leaving me with NOTHING.

That is what bothers me the most... he is so arrogant and narcisistic, he really does not think he has done anything wrong. He says, "But I don't have any money so I can't pay this bill." Sorry, but "being broke" does not excuse someone for not paying the bills he has always paid, or EVERYONE would be doing it, right?!

I'm so scared. What can I do RIGHT NOW?! It's not against the law to close a joint acct. without asking the other spouse on account, but WHY NOT!??

Joint account means you both own it - so he can close it whenever he wants with or without you.

Why can't you pay anything? Why haven't you worked? Just because he had money you should've had a backup. Always have a backup because nothing is forever.

Was it your credit card or his credit card?

There's obviously a restraining order because you called the police on him for domestic violence so the order is to protect both of you.

Find a new attorney if you don't like yours.

Back