Corporate Law HR Investigation into alleged stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fashion

My companies HR department is alleging that I used company promotional funds for personnel use, as part of their investigation they plan to interview me soon. I have not seen their findings that have led them to this conlusion I am insulted by these accusations (I have done nothing wrong) from an anonymous email to our ethics mail box, by a disgruntled member of either my current or former staff. I wanted to ask for general guidance to use effective words and statements to answer questions and re affirm my innocence?

Thank you in advance

My companies HR department is alleging that I used company promotional funds for personnel use, as part of their investigation they plan to interview me soon. I have not seen their findings that have led them to this conlusion I am insulted by these accusations (I have done nothing wrong) from an anonymous email to our ethics mail box, by a disgruntled member of either my current or former staff. I wanted to ask for general guidance to use effective words and statements to answer questions and re affirm my innocence?

Thank you in advance

The employer's interests are completely divergent to yours.
You can't prove your innocence.
The company, however, can endeavor to prove you guilty.
Before you attempt to prove anything, you're best served to consult an attorney.
If you're financially able to hire an attorney, do so.
If you are unable to do so, simply answer yes or no as much as you can.
Do take notes at the hearing.
Don't try to offer lengthy explanations, or engage in equivocation.
Above all else, be calm, professional, and brief.

Thanks for your detailed feedback,I have consulted with an attorney and will continue to follow their direction prior to my meeting, I will use you recommendations

As a Loss Prevention Professional I have conducted internal theft interviews. I can tell you what they are seeking is a confession! They really have no other purpose. If they did not feel there might be something to claim they would not seek this interview. Follow your Attorneys advice to the letter. Remember this is very likely a fishing expedition where their only goal is a confession and/or for you to say that one thing that justifies an action on their part.

That may be what's going on if Security is investigating but it's not necessarily the case if HR is.

Thanks for your detailed feedback,I have consulted with an attorney and will continue to follow their direction prior to my meeting, I will use you recommendations

Bear in mind, as Shrinkmaster warned, they want you to spill your guts.
There's no win here, insofar as your job is concerned.
They could terminate your employment anytime they want to let you go.
In many cases, they also want a confession.
Why?
Well, often they also want to rub salt into a wound by having you charged criminally.
That can eliminate any prospect of you receiving unemployment insurance.
If you're subsequently charged and convicted before a court of law, you could be required to reimburse the employer.
Mostly people like to make others sweat, especially if you've made enemies.

These folks are very clever with their ploys and tactics.
One will appear to befriend you, console you, offering to help you by getting the others to go easy on you.
Many times you'll be told that a confession will make you feel better.
You'll never be told that confession will save your job.

So, after all was said and done, you confess, they eventually terminate you, then the prosecutor charges you, the police arrest you, and there goes your today and many tomorrows.

If it comes down to choosing between being unemployed, but broke and FREE; or unemployed and convicted of some serious stuff - choose carefully my friend.

It may not come to anything at all, but if it does, make sure NOT to stand on the tracks with a 3,000 ton freight train barreling down the line!

Before everyone starts jumping on the conspiracy theory bandwagon, take a step back. A complaint was made to the ethics hotline and the company has a duty to investigate. Why bother having such a thing if they are just going to ignore any reports that are made? Part of any even halfway decent investigation would include talking to the accused. Right now, that is all it is. If it was serious chances are good it wouldn't be handled by just HR.

No need for an attorney yet. Frankly, it just makes you look guilty. Go to the meeting. Answer the questions honestly. Cooperate. Getting indignant and being hostile and defensive work against you here.

I agree with Elle - see what HR has to say first & then go from there. They are just right now investigating a "complaint" they received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back