How to prove I am my mothers next of kin/beneficiary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlchau

My mother passed away in April 2013. She was a resident of Alaska. She had no will no estate no insurance. I received her yearly dividend check recently and am having trouble getting it cashed. The check is issued to her and all I have to prove I am her next of kin is her death certificate. What do I need in order to cash this check?

What are they saying you need - did you ask? What about your birth certificate showing the names of your parents whom you were born to?

I wouldn't think you would have to open probate to get it cashed though I don't know the amt. of the check.

You might ask a lawyer what you have to do.

Someone else may come along with some additional suggestions.

Last edited:
PS Did you ask the place who issued the check what they need in order to reissue it under your name? I assume your bank/credit union (whatever) will not cash it under your Mother's name.

You are not entitled to the check unless meeting the rules. According to this, you do not qualify yet.
http://pfd.alaska.gov/FAQ/index#

An Estate Application can be filed by an Estate representative if the applicant:

died during the qualifying year after having been a state resident for at least 180 days (died between June 29 and December 31, 2012);
was otherwise eligible for the current year dividend and;
received a 2012 dividend

OR

died during the application period (January 1 through March 31);
had not already applied for the current year dividend and;
was otherwise eligible.

The personal representative of the estate must provide a copy of an affidavit or will naming them as the authorized representative of the estate and a copy of the adult's death certificate with the application. Contact us for more information and to request an Estate application. The Estate application must be filed by March 31 of the year following the dividend year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back