How to get custody of my niece in a different state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashyaava

I live in florida and my sister lives in Texas. She is stung out on crack and she is a prostitute. She has 4 children and the court took her parental rights away from # of them already. 1 child is with her grandmother and 2 are with my aunt. The most recent baby she wrote a letter to let her friend have temporary custody of the baby. My concern is that she is not with family. The lady who has the baby take well care of her, to the point where she tells every one thats her child. She has plans to move and she barely keeps contact with our family. I do not want some one with my niece who is not family. She claims she is only watching her till my sister gets her life together. I want my niece, i can take care of her. Im afraid I can not get her and it hurts. This lady is taking my niece and my family may never know her. She keeps saying my niece can't be taken from her because she has that paper and my niece doesn't know our family so no one will listen to the case. Please help me!!

Okay.

Let's back up a second.

If social services haven't stepped in to take the child, then Mom is considered "fit" so far. Mom's letter is completely meaningless. First in line though, after Mom, is Dad. Every effort must be made to contact him.

But you're alleging that she's a crack-addicted hooker - what have you done about this? You have contacted child services, yes?

My family has tried to help her. We have put her in rehabs over and over so she can try to get the first 3 kids back but she always leaves. She recently was released from he is homeless for prostitution again and we sent to to the VA to go thru a drug rehab program and they let her leave again :( my family is now looking into baker act her but its not easy. we go weeks without hearing from her or seeing her. she may end up dead some where soon and it makes me cry everyday. Texas does not know about the 4th baby. She came here to florida to have her and i let her stay with me because she promised she would accept my help and go into a program. She said she wanted to have the baby here in florida incase texas ran her name in the hospital an would see her record and see that she is an unfit mother. But once she had the baby she just left in the middle of the night back to texas. Its like she just used us to beat the system so texas won't know she had a 4th child. She only has 1 record here in florida when she bet me up badly on night because i told her not to smoke crack in my house. And she has 4 kids only knows 1 father, so my other 3 nieces have no father :( just family. The lady that has my niece said child services can take the baby from my sister but not her because of her letter. Im so afraid I will lose my niece. What can I do. Im all she has

sorry she i meant she is homeless and she was recently released from jail last month** and also I want to add that she led on a greyhound when i was at work back to texas the drugs have her going crazy and she has to take pills for her schizophrenia and she sad she left because she heard me call cps on her. I would have never let her leave with the baby. My other 3 nieces were on the run hotel to hotel until they were 5 with no shots or anything till we finally caught up to her to get them help. I love my sister but she is not a good mother. and my niece needs to be with family

OP, there is very little you can do to redeem a drug addict, unless the addict is ready to rehab himself or herself.

Your sister isn't ready.

We all have a relative, a friend, or an acquaintance that has chosen to abuse drugs.

At some point, you must choose to leave them to their own devices.

That said, if you know (or even suspect) a child of hers is in danger, call "911".

The police know what to do, and the child will be properly cared for, fed, and protected by the state.

The problem with helping any of her children, its like honey and flies.

The kids are the honey, she's the fly.

You take in the kid, here comes the fly.

Sorry, after giving my FLY a couple chances, I no longer concern myself with that person's excuses, lies, failures, and criminal acts.

This is that train wreck, you see it coming, so stop looking, and you won't have to see the carnage.

Last edited:
My family has tried to help her. We have put her in rehabs over and over so she can try to get the first 3 kids back but she always leaves. She recently was released from he is homeless for prostitution again and we sent to to the VA to go thru a drug rehab program and they let her leave again :( my family is now looking into baker act her but its not easy. we go weeks without hearing from her or seeing her. she may end up dead some where soon and it makes me cry everyday. Texas does not know about the 4th baby. She came here to florida to have her and i let her stay with me because she promised she would accept my help and go into a program. She said she wanted to have the baby here in florida incase texas ran her name in the hospital an would see her record and see that she is an unfit mother. But once she had the baby she just left in the middle of the night back to texas. Its like she just used us to beat the system so texas won't know she had a 4th child. She only has 1 record here in florida when she bet me up badly on night because i told her not to smoke crack in my house. And she has 4 kids only knows 1 father, so my other 3 nieces have no father :( just family. The lady that has my niece said child services can take the baby from my sister but not her because of her letter. Im so afraid I will lose my niece. What can I do. Im all she has

Once again, the letter means absolutely nothing. Child services won't pay any attention to it.

What's more important though isn't who the child is with, but that the child is safe. It appears that the child IS safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back