How much is 2.2 trillion?

mightymoose

A bit of perspective:
A $1 bill is 6.14 inches long.
The circumference of Earth at the equator is 24,901 miles.
Congress has just passed a 2.2 trillion dollar spending bill.
2.2 trillion x 6.14 inches = 213,194,444.4444 miles.
If laid end to end along the equator (if the ground was flat), 2.2 trillion dollars would circle Earth 8,561.7 times.
If they were $100 bills they would circle Earth 85.6 times.
If they were $1000 bills they would circle Earth more than 8.5 times.

Unimpressed?

The moon is an average distance of 238,900 miles from Earth.
2.2 trillion $1 bills end to end would reach to the moon AND BACK more than 446 times.
If they were $100 bills they would reach the moon and back almost 4.5 times.
If they were $1000 bills they would reach 89% of the way to the moon.

More...

A $1 bill is 2.61 x 6.14 inches = 16.0254 square inches.
The surface area of 2.2 trillion $1 bills would completely cover Connecticut, Deleware, Rhode Island, New York City, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas and still have 6.5 square miles left over.
This leftover amount, if stacked, is enough to reach well beyond the Karman line into outer space, approximately half the altitude of the International Space Station

Trillion is more than just a word. In terms of dollars It is a commitment for generations.

A bit of perspective:
Trillion is more than just a word. In terms of dollars It is a commitment for generations.

Impressive indeed, but let's put that in perspective by noting that the federal government spent in 2019 $4.4 trillion dollars. So $2.2 trillion is about what Congress spent in just six months in running the federal government on regular operations. A commitment for generations? Well, in 2019 almost $1 billion of the federal budget was borrowed money, so this additional borrowing represents what the government would borrow over two years. All this to say that while I dislike big budget deficits piling on top of our national debt (currently standing at over $25 trillion), this bill is not that huge an addition to what we already spend anyway, unfortunately. Certainly that large national debt would take decades to pay off and I wish this stimulus bill were not necessary, but just like with individuals, sometimes when some unexpected crisis or catastrophe hits, you have to borrow money to meet your immediate needs and then pay it later.

More perspective.

$2.2 trillion dollars is a rather paltry amount when you consider that the dollars laid end to end would only get us less than 2% of the distance to Alpha Centauri, the nearest planetary system to Earth.

And since this pandemic started, the global markets have lost $6 trillion in value. The US markets have lost 4 trillion of its value in the same period. 2.2 trillion is not going to make up for the loss in wealth.

Imagine you had 10 apples. Now imagine 11 smaller apples, floating next to them and a little above.
Put 22 of those sets together and you have $2.2 trillion.

More perspective.

$2.2 trillion dollars is a rather paltry amount when you consider that the dollars laid end to end would only get us less than 2% of the distance to Alpha Centauri, the nearest planetary system to Earth.
Considering how the current administration is handling everything they are likely to get Lost in Space on their way to AC. I think Netflix has a documentary about it. :p

This article illustrates what one would see looking at a mere $1,000,000,000,000 ...

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

What does one TRILLION dollars look like? (calculations & dimensions)

|---------Dimensions---------|
Each individual pallet is 42" wide by 40" deep. The height of the bills is 38.7". Add 4" for a pallet and the total height of one pallet of bills is 42.7". In the field of pallets above, the pallets are spaced 12" apart.

The field is 50 pallets x 100 pallets by 2 pallets high, so...

width = (50 x 42") + (49 x 12") = 2100" + 588" = 2688" = 224 ft

depth = (100 x 40") + (99 x 12") = 4000" + 1188" = 5188" = 432.33ft

height = 2 x 42.7" = 85.4" = just a little over 7ft high

So our field of pallets is roughly 224ft x 432ft x 7ft high.

At 96,768 square feet, it's about 2.2 acres and well over the size of a football field.

Well, you have to admit that joke is one that most people would not know, as I'm pretty sure most people haven't seen that strip, so it should not be surprising that people wouldn't get the reference. I certainly had no idea what you meant until you posted the strip explaining it.

Well, you have to admit that joke is one that most people would not know, as I'm pretty sure most people haven't seen that strip, so it should not be surprising that people wouldn't get the reference. I certainly had no idea what you meant until you posted the strip explaining it.

Tax...Four and Five came by my house looking for you. They left a message. It reads: You must comply.

Just thought you should know. :)
images

#reisistanceisfutile

Last edited:
I saw it and still have no freaking clue what the heck they are talking about.

I think I'll stick to Marmaduke. ;)

More perspective.

Actually, Proxima Centauri is the closest star to us at 4.22 light years.

There is no single "Alpha Centauri"...

Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, a binary star, averages 4.3 light years distance.

So there. :D

Back