How much fault do I and the other driver have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjumin

My question involves an accident that occurred in the state of: NY
Got a car accident 2 weeks ago when I visited my aunt in Manhattan, NY. I was making a left turn at a green light on a left lane. There was no car in one block distance and no one was crossing the road. However, when I almost finished the turn, a man with a baby stroller crossed the road suddenly. He was walking slowly, so I stopped at the intersection and yielded him. Nothing wrong until ~8 secs later, I observed a commercial van coming from the opposite direction. It was impossible that he couldn't stop. However, he really didn't stop and hit on my car directly on the passenger side front door. It is worth noting that there is only bent but no scratch mark on the door. However, I am not sure if the damage can proof that I was yielding pedestrian during the accident. In fact I completely stopped when yielding.
Now my question is how much fault do I and the other driver have? I believe if someone witness the whole accident, he would be 100% responsible, because I turned under a safe situation and the pedestrian was crossing unpredictably. In addition, there was a long while before I got hit. However, there was no witness. Police came after 2 -3 hours so police didn't judge anything and didn't give citation to anyone.
Just yesterday I got a call from the insurance company of that commercial van and say I am 100% liable because I was making a left turn. They have no proof that I am wrong as well. Therefore, an extra question is that what is the best thing I should do now?

Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back