Naturalization, Citizenship How long for a I-129F

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolaslebrun

I am french (and canadian but I don't think it matters). My wife has been naturalized american two years ago (she was russian). We met in the US and she came to live with me in Spain where I have residency. We are married since 1 month. We got married in Barcelona Spain. My wife will soon have her right to residency in Spain. We plan to go back to the US as her father had recently health problems.
So we will file for me I-130, then I-129F.
As I understood we will have to apply for my permanent US residency through Madrid (I-130).
So I have several questions, first is it possible to know how long it will take to have the approval for the I-129F, is it fast, is it very variable ? I heard it could take from 2 weeks to 6 months ? If it takes 6 months, does the renewal of this same I-129F valid for 4 months would take also 6 months (as I heard that I-130 could easily take 1 year to be approuved) ?
Am I able to work with I-129F ?
Will I have to come back to Madrid when the I-130 will be approuved ?
Thanks a lot for your help...
Nicolas

It all depends.

The I-129F is for the issuance of a K-3 Visa. Usually this takes somewhere between 3 and 6 months, depending on the service center and the consulate.

Once you are in the States with the K-3 Visa you can apply for an employment authorization, which might take another month or two to arrive.

The actual issuance of a Green Card (immigrant visa and legal permantent resident status) also depends on where it will be processed and can easily take up to 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back