How long can a divorce be strung along for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joanrocco

I am engaged to a man that was previously married. He recently started divorce proceedings with his lawyer. Today we got a letter in the mail from his lawyer about the demands his estranged wife is making. She won't sign the papers unless my fiancé meets these ridiculous demands, which is impossible at this, or any other time. He pays a lot of money in child support, so money is tight and he just can't do it. This woman, his ex, is vindictive and spiteful and I believe she is asking for these things knowing that he can't deliver. It seems to me that she is in no rush to get this divorce and would rather keep him in the marriage out of spite, knowing that he can't marry me until the divorce is final. I need to know if there is any way around this. How long can she drag this out for before something gives? I know that neither my fiancé nor his ex will budge on this matter. She will string this along for years if need be. Please tell me if there is any other way to get this divorce without meeting her needs. Even my fiancé's lawyer said these demands were insane and he, being a lawyer, couldn't meet these financial needs. I would imagine there has to be a time when a judge says "enough is enough" and grants my fiancé a reasonable divorce. We are really in a bind right now and could use some good advice. Someone please help me. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back