how does garnishment for medical bills work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanof48forever

My husband and I have medical bills in collections that we have been paying on for almost 3 years, which I had called and set up the payments on and they were auto debited from our checking. Recently, I missed two payments because my debit card expired. I forgot to call and give the new debit card number. I received a letter in December to call in the new number and we were very strapped for money at the time so I waited to call until after the first of the year. Before I was able to call my husband's employer received papers to garnish his wages for 25% of his pay bi weekly. I never received any papers to appear in court or anything else that stated they were going to garnish wages. The last people I dealt with was the collection agency. Can they garnish without going through the court? I have also called and tried to work out payments with them and they stated that because it's already in garnishment that they couldn't work with me now. Please advise.

Michigan - Most creditors cannot get a wage garnishment order until they have first obtained a court judgment stating that you owe the creditor money. For example, if you are behind on credit card payments or owe a doctor's bill, those creditors cannot garnish your wages (unless they sue you and get a judgment).

However, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Your wages can be garnished without a court judgment for:

unpaid income taxes
court ordered child support
child support arrears, and
defaulted student loans.

Your husband should check with his employer to be sure they have an actual court order to garnish his wages.

Can they garnish without going through the court? I have also called and tried to work out payments with them and they stated that because it's already in garnishment that they couldn't work with me now. Please advise.

Wages can't be attached without DUE PROCESS. as in a civil trial.

I suspect you may have granted these crooks the ability to attach your wages in something you could have signed.

If that wasn't the case, they might hold a judgment against hubby.

You might wish to have hubby inquire of his payroll people.

The employer has been bamboozled into complying with a bogus judgment, or there is a judgment you have no knowledge about.

Check your credit report, or with your local courthouse.

Something seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back