How do I prove lack of demand for job skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildenny

I live in California, and have been receiving unemployment benefits since December 2006. In January, I attended a workshop at the One Stop Career Center where I was informed about extended training benefits, and spoke briefly to a counselor regarding this.

After five months of finding absolutely no job openings in my regular line of work, I considered returning to school for retraining. I tried very hard to get an answer from EDD as to whether I would be able to receive extended training benefits while I was in school, but the answer (if I got one) pointed back to "check off on your claim form if you returned to school and you'll have a phone interview".

So, I started a training course with a 'approved training facility' as listed on the EDD website, and had a phone interview a few weeks later (on May 10)

Today, I was informed that I was not eligible for extended training beneifts because "there is a demand for your job skills in your area of expertise in the marketplace". This is very frustrating, because, as I stated, I have not been aware of even one job opening inspite of checking job boards, websites, newspapers, etc. I have networked with everyone I can think of to "keep me posted" of any openings. If there is a demand for my job skills, I'd sure like to know who is demanding it.

I will appeal this decision, but does anyone have advice? Is there anything I can do to prove my position?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back