How do i keep my baby's father away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHaydel

I am currently 5 months pregnant, and my ex-fiance [the baby's father] and I are no longer together.

Two days ago, the baby's father [hereafter known as "Joe"] made a terroristic threat towards me. My cousin, hearing it, called the police. Charges were filed, and a Magistrate's Order for Emergency Protection was enacted for the initial 60 day period. Tomorrow, however, I am going to call and request a lengthening of the order for a period of 2 years.

My question, now, is even with the charges and terroristic threat, does "Joe" still have rights to see my son? Does he have the right to be present at the birth even though he made a threat to my life? I obviously do not wish to have such a man physically and emotionally father my child.. is there any way I can prevent him from being in the baby's life? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Have you filed a restraining order against him? No, you do not have to allow him in the hospital room for the birth. Until paternity is established he has no rights to the child. There is nothing preventing him from going to court and establishing paternity and asking for visitation. If you file for child support or gov't assistance, paternity will need to be established he then will have some rights.

If you do not want him involved at all, figure out how you are going to support the baby on your own however if he pursues this through the family courts, there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can argue that you want supervised visits.

? I obviously do not wish to have such a man physically and emotionally father my child..

the time to decide wether or not a man is good father material is BEFORE you lay down and concieve a child with him. if he is the father, he will have as many rights to the child as you. you better get used to the idea of him being in the child's life if he is proving to be the father. theres nothing you can do about it. you chose him to father your child, you dont get to decide he isnt good father material, or that he isnt going to be part of the child's life. not unless you want to be the one with visitation instead of custody

DO NOT PUT HIS NAME ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!! i am in the same situation and trust me it will still be hard but if he isnt on the birth certificate HE HAS TO PAY to get his paternity proven(dna testd are very expensive) this will give you time to figure out exsactly how to go about everything else. Get legal aid or a lawyer pronto after your child is born and get full custody asap!!! ps i am not a lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back