how do I get custody; bipolar wife left me tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiodad

My wife decided that she wanted a separation tonight. It's not surprising given that we have been in marriage counseling for the past 6 months and she is seeking treatment for bipolar disorder. Her disorder has taken over our lives during the past year and I am afraid our time together is about over. Every day I return home wondering who I will meet at the door (jeckle or hyde) and wonder if this is the day she has taken the kids and run off. It has been a stressful period that has taken a toll emotionally and professionally.

My biggest concern, however, is the well-being of our two daughters age 2 and 4. Ironically, my wife hated her father for not fighting for his two children when his bipolar wife (my mother in law) was dragging them from place to place and from one unhealthy relationship to the next. I won't have the same thing happen to my children and I need advice on how to get full custody. My wife and I are both professors. She seems to be functioning pretty well at work and it is actually where she prefers to be. She is very short with the children (they call it "snapping"), but other than that I can't really point to a specific problem with her parenting. How can I get custody based on the prediction that her life will be swinging wildly out of control?

I would seek the advice of an attorney.

You could file for temporary custody but I don't know if you would keep it. Do you have the children with you? You could have them until your divorce unless a judge decides that they would be better with their mother. All I can tell you is that if you want your children, take as much time as you can. Spend time with them. They are awfully young. As long as they know you want them.

Good Luck.

You can file for temporary custody. Just because somebody is bi-polar does not mean they will lose custody. What you want to do is to prevent her from leaving and taking the kids with her if she is moving a long distance away. Until a court says so you both have equal rights to the kids. If she has moved out of state though without your permission the courts do not like to see that and may grant you custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back