how do i file a criminal suit against an officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdabby

If an officer causes me to crash my car, I can file a civil suit against him. But then if he knowingly and willfully lies on a ticket to try to cover his own a$$ - this is perjury. Perjury is a criminal charge from what I understand, and if I were to do this, then a prosecutor could raise a criminal case against me. However the prosecutor is usually on the side with the police, so I can assume that he wouldn't raise a criminal case against this officer. So how can I initiate a criminal case against this officer, and in effect have him relieved of his duties?

If an officer causes me to crash my car, I can file a civil suit against him.
How did an officer intentionally or recklessly cause you to crash your car??

But then if he knowingly and willfully lies on a ticket to try to cover his own a$$ - this is perjury.
Only if the lie is done in court or upon a document where this is a possible end result.

Perjury is a criminal charge from what I understand, and if I were to do this, then a prosecutor could raise a criminal case against me.
Perjury is very difficult to prove. In all my years in law enforcement, I can't think of a single case that has ever been prosecuted. The standard for this crime is pretty high, and absent an admission of guilt, it's very difficult to PROVE (legally) that the act was intentional as opposed to incidental. Being mistaken is not perjury.

However the prosecutor is usually on the side with the police, so I can assume that he wouldn't raise a criminal case against this officer. So how can I initiate a criminal case against this officer, and in effect have him relieved of his duties?
You do not have the ability to initiate a criminal action. You can report the action to the DA, to the agency employing the officer, to the state police or attorney general, and even to the FBI if it is that bad. But, you can only hire an attorney to initiate civil action against the officer - you cannot initiate a criminal action against him.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back