How can they allow these living conditions? Beach Park IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dommad

So here's the deal, there is a 3 bedroom one bathroom house in a used car lot. The home was rented as a 3 bedroom with a complete loft for a 4th bedroom. Now the problems with the house are as follows:

-little to no insulation throughout the home

-no power to upstairs loft

-severe black mold in basement

-septic system backs up and floods basement every 2 months

-hot water heater doesn't work

-%50+ of windows painted shut

-Bathtub and kitchen sink do not drain

This is the best of the 7 properties this landlord owns, one of the others is literally faling down. Landlord refuses to fix any of it.

Called County, Village, and Health Dept. all refuse to do anything because "people can live however they want" and "as long as people keep renting from him its legal". Are there no regulations for rental properties? How can they allow these living conditions?

The thing you find around here is rent is extremely expensive so most move in to places like this because they think they are getting a deal and then cant move out because they cannot afford anything else.

Q: How can they allow these living conditions?

A: What did the zoning bureaucrats say when you asked your questions?

Q: How can they allow these living conditions?

A: What did the zoning bureaucrats say when you asked your questions?

They said as long as people were willing to live there he could continue renting them out. These are unsanitary and for the most part unsafe conditions.

I would go further and check out the remedies that are in the landlord/tenant laws of your city/state. Google that information before you ask the zoning bureaucrats so you will have ammunition to throw at them.

I would go further and check out the remedies that are in the landlord/tenant laws of your city/state. Google that information before you ask the zoning bureaucrats so you will have ammunition to throw at them.

I have emailed the Illinois Tennants union to see what they say.

I would be proactive and find out what are the landlord's obligations in your state since he seems to be in obvious violation of the law. Also, there will, along with the obligations, be a list of remedies that you can demand from him. If he is a chronic violator who doesn't respond to court mandates then you are better off moving out of this property before yours and your loved ones health and safety are compromised. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I would be proactive and find out what are the landlord's obligations in your state since he seems to be in obvious violation of the law. Also, there will along with the obligations, be a list of remedies that you can demand from him. If he is a chronic violator who doesn't respond to court mandates then you are better off moving out of this property before yours and your loved ones health and safety are compromised. Hope this helps!

I have already moved, we had a month to month so I gave 30days notice and vacated. My big concern is he will go on renting to others. I cannot with good conscience do nothing.

It seems like he is going to but you cannot try to make right when he is the one who is doing the wrong. All you can do is file complaints against him and hopefully, those who are going to be renting from him, will be wise enough to check him out before they close on a leasing deal. Best of luck to you!

It seems like he is going to but you cannot try to make right when he is the one who is doing the wrong. All you can do is file complaints against him and hopefully, those who are going to be renting from him, will be wise enough to check him out before they close on a leasing deal. Best of luck to you!

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back