How are salaries calculated for child support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayangel214

I work 40 hours a week/12 months a year.
He works 30 hours a week/10 months a year.

If you compare our hourly wages we make similar $$, comparing yearly I make more.

Nothing is filed yet. I just want to know if I need to stress than many, many years after divorce and recently I accepted a job making better money, is he entitled to child support? Shared custody, child support currently $0.

Thank you! :)

Your salaries would be calculated yearly (that's why you provide w2s) and divided up monthly from there.

So...yes, you might be paying him child support if he files (even with a 50-50 timeshare split).

Do our expenses get calculated in...?

It just seems like the court should compare hourly wage to hourly wage...and not penalize me for working more hours to support the kids. I know, it is what it is...it's just a bummer that I put myself thru grad school after we split to do better & ex may be entitled to it... I know... it's the kids who get benefit from child support... just seems unfair. What about the fact that he could work during the summer but chooses not to... Guess I'll just wait and see, right now it's just 'talk'

Thank you for your response.

If Dad files, you can (should, actually) certainly request that he is imputed 40 hours/week at his current hourly wage (that's very commonly requested and ordered).

Expenses don't get factored in, no - with one or two exceptions (daycare can be a factor, as can small credits for subsequent children).

You're welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back