Hourly Employee- Not paid fully for travel days

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkiekins

I have been travelling since May 2010, am an hourly employee and was told that I only get paid 8 hours for travel days that are made during the week. However, some days I went into the office and then travelled after work. I was still only paid 8 hours even though my day was longer than that. I have travelled on holidays and only get paid 8 hours not double time.. I have also travelled on the weekends and did not get paid at all for weekend travel. Is this legal? Shouldn't I get paid for travel plus time in the office if I worked the same day as flying out?? We have no travel policy that states if you are an hourly employee that you get paid only 8 hours. I also talked to some other travellers who are hourly and they get paid from the time they walk out the door of their house till they get to the hotel..so even if they stopped in at work. Please let me know if I have something.

Why nit discuss your concerns with your HR department or your manager? See what the policy is in your unit.

Or, discuss your concerns with your state wage and labor authority.

California has more stringent requirements that federal law which, even so, requires that you be paid for travel that occurs during your regularly scheduled hours (net of any meal period), even if that travel occurs on a nonscheduled work day. California law defines ALL travel time on behalf of the employer as hours worked and, therefore, compensable.

See Section 46 here:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/DLSEManual/dlse_enfcmanual.pdf

Last edited:
There is no law in any state requiring that you get paid double time on a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back