hotel mess up

Sherri R

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I got a HUGE last minute opportunity to be a vendor at a cake show. (It was my first time to have such an opportunity.) I overnighted a package with over $500 worth of product to a hotel where the cake show was being hosted. Part of the product was to be purchased by the class members for use in the class, as well as additional merchandise that could be bought at will. The hotel failed to retrieve my package out of their mailbox until Tuesday when the postman went and brought the package inside, even though I called multiple times each day throughout the weekend trying to track the package.

The hotel has offered to give me a free night's stay in one of the hotels and, although I find this a nice gesture, I still feel slighted by the loss of income, both there on site, as well as future prospects.

The hotel manager said he would overnight my package back to me, however that was a week ago, and I'm still waiting for my product to be returned.

Am I entitled to get any compensation for the loss of income, not only from the class participants but the loss of future customers as well? Thank you for your reply.

Did you have a contract with the hotel? I doubt if they had any legal obligation to make sure your products were made available, but if they did it would be somewhere in the terms of the contract.

Am I entitled to get any compensation for the loss of income, not only from the class participants but the loss of future customers as well?

I get the impression that you weren't there for the show. Or the next day when the package arrived.

Is that right?

Did you send it where someone had to sign for it when delivered & not just left in mailbox? Other than the return of your package I doubt you are entitled to any additional compensation minus a binding contract guaranteeing such. Sorry.

I got a HUGE last minute opportunity to be a vendor at a cake show. (It was my first time to have such an opportunity.) I overnighted a package with over $500 worth of product to a hotel where the cake show was being hosted. Part of the product was to be purchased by the class members for use in the class, as well as additional merchandise that could be bought at will. The hotel failed to retrieve my package out of their mailbox until Tuesday when the postman went and brought the package inside, even though I called multiple times each day throughout the weekend trying to track the package.

The hotel has offered to give me a free night's stay in one of the hotels and, although I find this a nice gesture, I still feel slighted by the loss of income, both there on site, as well as future prospects.

The hotel manager said he would overnight my package back to me, however that was a week ago, and I'm still waiting for my product to be returned.

Am I entitled to get any compensation for the loss of income, not only from the class participants but the loss of future customers as well? Thank you for your reply.

Here's your problem.

You didn't have to send the package to the hotel.
The hotel owed you no duty to care for, or even receive your package.

You could have simply requested the shipper to HOLD your package at their nearest facility for you to retrieve upon your arrival.

That's the position the hotel's legal department will take.
Your position is weak.
Ask for three free nights at any hotel, maybe a free meal for two, if the hotel has food service.

You don't have much legal room to argue in, so your best bet is to appeal to the general customer service and future business side of the hotel's general manager.

Negotiate only with the hotel general manager.
He or she can do more for you, and be very polite and solicitous as you negotiate.

Back