Hostile work environment

E

Eric221

Jurisdiction
New York
I have been working for a very large financial firm for the past 6 years. I always get all my work assignments completed and my annual year-end reviews have always been good with the exception of last year. Last year, I got penalized on my year end review for not verbally communicating with a specific team member (who has previously yelled at me) and for being late to work even though all the work objectives in my review were completed. I have a need for flexible work hours as I have 2 kids that I take to school and day care every morning and when my daughter was born 3 years ago I verbally told my manager that I can work 10am-6pm. Our team did not have set hours so it was not an issue and there have been times when I needed to log into work from home after work hours which was something I was always open to. Over the years I have noticed that my manager rewards social people more than hard working people. I have never been promoted while I have seen team members promoted twice while being with the firm less time than I. I was told many times that I need to socialize more and attend social events.

Last week my managing director took me into her office and told me that to occupy my seat I need to socialize with all team members, outside of communicating for work assignments. I explained to her that we are all selective with who we socialize with and I do not feel comfortable walking around the floor socializing with people. It was also not part of the job requirements when they hired me 6 years ago. I have expressed that I would like to explore other opportunities at other groups internally and asked if she can recommend a good mentor or sponsor in those areas. She said I had no value to add to those functions and that she doesn't know me well enough (I've been on her team 6 years) to recommend someone. She said that I can not consider myself as a professional in our current area as there are different sub areas I have not been exposed to and did not remember some ratio she brought up. I am a CFA charter holder and have studied all these formulas when I took the exams years back but I do not remember them all at the top of my head.

Just today I was told that my manager would like to implement set hours 9am-5pm and I would be the only one negatively impacted by this change as my current hours are 10am-6pm. I do not have a written agreement for my current hours. Are they legally able to fire me if I can not comply with these new hours? I feel like my manager is just looking for anything she can pick on to fire me. Please help.

I have a need for flexible work hours as I have 2 kids that I take to school and day care every morning and when my daughter was born 3 years ago

Sorry, but that's on you, not your employer.

Are they legally able to fire me if I can not comply with these new hours?

Short answer.

Yes.

Your employer's business doesn't revolve around you and has no obligation to schedule its work hours around your needs.

And your job is what your boss says it is at any given moment. I can understand that you don't want to socialize with fellow employees. I had a job once that involved socializing and going out drinking with the staff. I passed. I lasted about 3 months on the job and got fired for "not working out."

If you don't like the job culture you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

There is no illegal discrimination going on.

When the boss says "Jump, fool", you better be launching, if you wanna be keepin' your job.

agree with the others -- you have to go along to get along. Personality differences are a large part of the employee workplace. While you just want to put your head down and get what you feel like is your work done, your manager is telling you that is not working. And if you aren't getting there until 10am, you might be missing key morning meetings/talks about workload, etc.

It is not illegal to change your work hours unless you have some type of contract. And it does not matter that it only affects you. I've been there, done that with 3 kids. Those that work outside normal hours often get passed over unless they strive very very hard to make it work and to make their coworkers/managers feel comfortable. If you aren't socializing with them at all, you haven't done that. You may be the best productive worker on your own work, but it seems like your management also values an ability to get along and work together as a team.

Honestly this might not be the best place for you anymore (and I don't know many employers that would allow for a 10am start time at all especially if business is being completed before then)

Back