hospital negligence - malpractice

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor11

Jurisdiction
Maryland
My son suffers severe depression. He had a manic episode and was rushed to shady grove ER. They later transferred him to Washington Adventist. When I called the nurse on duty told me the doctor recommended that he be placed in isolation "in a room by himself and be monitored". I explained to them that he should not be given depakote because it causes him to have chest pains, paranoid tendencies and delusions, along with increased feelings of depression. They told me that was noted. I later called back to check on him and to see when would be the best time for me to visit him. They told me I could not see him because he was over 18 and did not want to see me. I made a few more calls which was futile.

Eventually, when I spoke to my son, he told me he just got out of SURGERY!! Not only did they give him depakote, they placed another patient in his room that was pacing, the pacing bothered him, he went to the nurses station to ask if they could put him in another room or remove the patient that was pacing. She told him no, he needed to just get back in there, she was on the phone. He snapped "induced by the medication and frustration"... Punched through the glass screen and sustained horrible damages!! He bled profusely. They rushed him into surgery "did plastic surgery to try and fix the gaping wounds, he has extensive scarring"... They were lying about him not wanting to see me, he was in surgery. they also gave him morphine, which he's allergic to, which was horrific for him I.e. Severe itching. All this because they were covering up, I would have informed them of this since he was incapacitated after the anesthesia etc.

i spoke to the director of patient services to ask why this was hidden from me, she said, he was over 18, the hospital was not a hotel, nothing was wrong with him, if I was to pursue anything she would say he threatened to kill the nurse and other staff. She then used hospital funds to hire a taxi "both of his hands were bandaged to the elbows and mostly inoperable". She proceeded to discharge him before I could get there, paid the taxi with a voucher and told them to drop him at a shelter in DC. Although I told her I am his mother and i would be there to pick him up. She told me she had already entered in his file that he had no where to go, he said he had no where to go. I asked her, as someone who is working in mental health why would she listen to a mentally ill patient? Instead of a family member, his mother?... She said the hospital would pay for the surgery since he was injured there, but couldn't keep him til I get there.

I called his phone and intercepted the taxi, told the driver to drop him at a metro station where I can arrange to pick him up. I was in upper Montgomery county and the hospital sent him in a taxi to D street, DC. I told him how to get on the train to meet me at the metro in MD, as it was rush hour. When I saw him his entire clothes was splashed with blood! The bandage was soak in blood. Hand bleeding due to too much pressure post surgery!! I took pictures. I have been trying to get his medical record from Washington Adventist and they keep telling me they are waiting for a doctor to approve it!! My son was approved for disability immediately after that incident "although the hospital claimed he was looking for a place to sleep and was in his right mind". He was diagnosed with multiple disorders. He was admitted at that same hospital before for mental illness. Its been almost 6 years now and they are still NOT releasing his record. I need to see what's on file, also based on his disability I was told the statute of limitation is Tolled.

He is still having big pieces of glass shards surfacing and hurting, he took out a few pieces himself, then I took him to meritis hospital to remove others. I recorded this. They stitched the wounds without even taking basic measures to ensure most of the broken glass was removed from the wound. Not only that, but he now has a medical bill for the treatment of that injury. What can I do at this point? I am haunted by this nightmare.

You can do nothing.
He's an adult.
If you still persist in doing something, you can ATTEMPT to become his GUARDIAN.
If that is your desire, hire a lawyer to assist you.
Good luck.

You do not do anything at all. First, your son is a legal adult and unless the court has made you his legal guardian, you have no standing to do anything. Secondly, if the statute of limitations has tolled, there is nothing to do.

Neither Shady Grove, nor Adventist are mental health hospitals. Diagnosing a mental illness, let along treating it, is not an acute care type of situation. They might stabilize the person, but that is about it. As he was an adult, you are lucky that they talked to you at all. No hospital worth their salt is going to take the word of the adult patient's mother as far as treatment, especially when you were not physically present. There are very few private rooms at either facility, outside of ICU (at least that was the case 5+ years ago). Sharing a room is common though punching ones fist through glass because a nurse told you something you don't like is not. He is very lucky the police were not called. Records do take time to get transcribed so they would not have been ready immediately. It would have taken at least 2 weeks in my experience. Your son can request them if he chooses to do so. You can not. Itching is a very common side effect to pain meds such as morphine and dilaudid. If he came in without records, he would be treated according to standard care protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back