Holding the car as ransom by tow operator (tow for repairs, not impounded)

George903

Jurisdiction
Washington
My insurance has ordered a tow to move my car from the accident scene to the tow company yard. This was an accident on private property, car hit a tree, nobody injured.
The insurance company is taking a long time to send the payment for the tow they ordered and the tow company is keeping my car for ransom.
They are asking for a ridiculous amount $3000 to release the car given that is what they are owned by the insurance company for the initial tow.
I offered to pay the fee to tow out of the yard to my house, they quoted for that $175, but they won't do the tow until the insurance pays. It's been 12 days.
Since the car was not impounded and in fact I do not owned them anything, insurance does since they ordered the service this might qualify as illegal ransom?
Thank you,

Since the car was not impounded and in fact I do not owned them anything, insurance does since they ordered the service this might qualify as illegal ransom?

IT could be called many things, NONE of which will cause the towing service to release your vehicle.

If you desire to have your vehicle returned to your care, custody, and control; I suggest you contact your insurer's adjuster or claims representative. I also suggest the conversation should be professional, courteous, and most of all SOLICITOUS.

Remember, it is said one catches more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

If you are polite, gracious, courteous, and professional during the contact(s), your vehicle should find itself in a repair shop MONDAY or TUESDAY to begin it's repairs, or in your driveway to be eventually towed to an auto body repair shop.

Thank you,

If the contract with the repair firm is for both the tow and repairs to the vehicle and the repair firm has actually done some or all of the requested work then you have a problem. Under the laws of most states the repair company has a lien on the car for the work done and may legally hold it until it gets paid. In that case, your problem is with your insurer and that's where you need to put the heat.

Back