HOA dues/FCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

getmos

hello. and yet another Homeowner's Association (HOA) question... :eek:

i have, what i believe will be, my first of many HOA questions. i've lived in my california HOA community for just over five years. my monthly dues are not outrageous, however, i do question the legitimacy of one "line item" or justification of the dues. here's are little background...

when the community was first created, it was in a more remote/country part of the county that the local cable provider could not provide service. as a result, the HOA built their own cable system, and associated fees for this service are included in the HOA dues.​

fast forward to today: i would estimate that ~25% of the homes in the community have opted for some dish (satellite) service. the reasons for this are either poor cable service or a desire for more channels/selections. however, an option for satellite tv does not mean that the resident no longer pays for the HOA cable tv portion of the monthly dues, whose chunk of the dues is almost 25%.

i was wondering if there is anything stated by the FCC that states that no one (HOA) can force you to purchase their communicatory service/device?

as a side note, i'm sure that many HOA horror stories have been circulating around. and, in my community, some unaware residents have advised other residents planning to purchase some satellite service to talk to the HOA Cable TV Manager about the "appropriate place" to position the satellite on your roof top, so as to not contravene the CC&Rs. :rolleyes:

grin, be happy that they allow you to have satellite dishes. There have been many an ugly fight around the nation about this.

I don't know about the FCC, but I guess the HOA is within its legal rights to make everybody pay regardless of actual use. But like I said, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back