HoA Dispute over balcony repair

Anna Lonskaya

Jurisdiction
Florida
My condo association notified me that my downstairs neighbors have bubbles on their balcony due to moisture coming from my balcony upstairs. The association determined that it is my responsibility and I need to assume all the costs and perform a tile repair on my balcony. The association then scheduled a repair with their own contractor and did not give me a choice or estimates from other construction firms.
I want to stop the repair from happening until I am able to evaluate all the options and find a contractor that I can trust. The issue is time sensitive, and the repair is scheduled 1 week from now. What are the steps I can take in order to delay the repair and ensure that association does not use their own construction company to perform the repair, which I am financially responsible for?

What are the steps I can take in order to delay the repair and ensure that association does not use their own construction company to perform the repair, which I am financially responsible for?

You first should READ and COMPREHEND the HOA CCRS.

As you read, many questions will be answered.

The sooner you begin, the sooner you'll know what is mandated by the CCRS which control your life, finances, and very existence.

Another option is consult local real estate attorneys and HIRE one to protect your interests.

If you don't, you'll be steamrolled, abused, and harassed and the POWERFUL HOA will have it's way with you!!!

What are the steps I can take in order to delay the repair and ensure that association does not use their own construction company to perform the repair, which I am financially responsible for?

One option is for you to seek an emergency injunction to prevent the repair.

Another option is for you to get your own contractor to do the repairs before the HOA's contractor gets there.

Or, just let it happen and rue the day you ever decided to live in an HOA.

By the way, have you put your objection in writing with the appropriate threat of a lawsuit if they invade your home?

Might be worth paying a lawyer to write it as the HOA is likely to ignore your protest.

My condo association notified me that my downstairs neighbors have bubbles on their balcony due to moisture coming from my balcony upstairs.
I assume that these bubbles are in the paint between the paint and some concrete. Are they in the ceiling of the neighbor's balcony? How did the HOA determine it was your balcony that caused the problem? Is there an engineering report?

Back