Hiring methods

M

Mjoon

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hi I have applied for several jobs since the beginning of the year and people I previously worked with work at these companies. I resigned from the company we used to work together at and I filed a claim against them with the EEOC. I get phone interviews and I've had two onsite interviews. I let them know I knew people they asked about that worked there and came from my old company. I'm getting turned down for every job and a friend of mine told me an email was sent out concerning should I be hired for the position I knew I was over qualified for. I know that one person that works at one of the places in question was in on the investigation towards me.

They don't have to hire you.
Unless you can show discrimination based on a protected class there isn't much of anything to work with here.

Maybe they just don't want to hire people that are over qualified, figuring they will just leave as soon as something better comes along.

The prospective employers have every right to ask current employees about past working relationships with a prior coworker at a different company. That's why it's not a great idea to burn bridges. While the discrimination claim comes with a non-retaliation clause, it will be very hard to prove retaliation at a prospective employer if other things come into play - like being overqualified or there being a lot of applicants or you just wouldn't be a good fit. Many employers have current employees be involved in the interview process if they are going to be working together to check that fit. Honestly it's not going to be a good one if you filed a claim against them in the past (true or not)

That said, your prior coworkers can say anything they believe to be true (such as the fact that you filed an EEOC claim or that they didnt' work well with you) that is in good faith. If they were party to the suit or investigation, then they are going to know more details than others. I suggest not trying to get a job at employers where you know this group of employees currently work.

Hi I have applied for several jobs since the beginning of the year and people I previously worked with work at these companies. I resigned from the company we used to work together at and I filed a claim against them with the EEOC. I get phone interviews and I've had two onsite interviews. I let them know I knew people they asked about that worked there and came from my old company. I'm getting turned down for every job and a friend of mine told me an email was sent out concerning should I be hired for the position I knew I was over qualified for. I know that one person that works at one of the places in question was in on the investigation towards me.

Statistics tell us that 90% (or more) of people who initiate an EEOC claim receive far more guff than what they originally reported AFTER filing a claim.

Hmm, I seem to recall the one about reaping what you've sown.

Back