Hiring a Nurse Practioner and need help. Thank you tons!

Lucas1010

Jurisdiction
California
I have a medical clinic in California and I am in desperate need of hiring a Nurse Practitioner. This is all very new to me and I would love to be in compliance so my patients can continue to receive the care they deserve. My main priority are my patients and the quality of care they receive. That's my strong suit. I love caring for my patients. However, I definitely lack business knowledge and legal experience. Any help is greatly appreciated. We don't have any employment contracts for the Nurse Practioner's in the clinic. They will be conducting PRP injections.

• I need the contracts that the NP would be signing when starting to work at our clinic.
  • We also don't understand the process of malpractice for the NPs.
  • Does the clinic have to have malpractice insurance or is it under the Medical Director's malpractice? Are we paying for that or can we get general malpractice insurance to cover what's needed.
  • Since I am a chiropractor, I can't contract the Nurse Practitioner, so what would be the exact steps that we need to take there to contract the Nurse Practitioner.
  • What contract does the Nurse Practitioner need to sign so she is protected, the clinic is protected, and that she understands her role.

Once again, I do understand this is a lot and I don't expect anyone to answer all my questions. Any question I can get help with I will be more than happy with and genuinely grateful. Thank you for your time and patience with my post. God bless!

I have a medical clinic in California and I am in desperate need of hiring a Nurse Practitioner. This is all very new to me and I would love to be in compliance so my patients can continue to receive the care they deserve. My main priority are my patients and the quality of care they receive. That's my strong suit. I love caring for my patients. However, I definitely lack business knowledge and legal experience. Any help is greatly appreciated. We don't have any employment contracts for the Nurse Practioner's in the clinic. They will be conducting PRP injections.

• I need the contracts that the NP would be signing when starting to work at our clinic.
  • We also don't understand the process of malpractice for the NPs.
  • Does the clinic have to have malpractice insurance or is it under the Medical Director's malpractice? Are we paying for that or can we get general malpractice insurance to cover what's needed.
  • Since I am a chiropractor, I can't contract the Nurse Practitioner, so what would be the exact steps that we need to take there to contract the Nurse Practitioner.
  • What contract does the Nurse Practitioner need to sign so she is protected, the clinic is protected, and that she understands her role.

Once again, I do understand this is a lot and I don't expect anyone to answer all my questions. Any question I can get help with I will be more than happy with and genuinely grateful. Thank you for your time and patience with my post. God bless!

First thing that jumps out at me in your post is that you say that as a chiropractor in your state you cannot hire a NP. I assume that means that a NP must be supervised by a MD or DO. If that's correct, you have a problem because typically that means you need a MD or DO as part of your practice or, if allowed by your state, you might contract with the MD or DO for the NP services, but there is still the issue of ensuring the MD or DO is in a position to effectively supervise the NPs work.

I strongly recommend you contact an attorney who advises medicial professional about the legal requirements of their professions for advice. This is not something you want to do off of advice from strangers on an internet forum.

The NP likely also cannot be a self-employed contractor. If he/she must be an employee, then whomever is deemed the employer will need to collect and pay employment taxes, unemployment comp insurance, etc.

In addition to what "adjusterjack" wrote, you should also consult with a local insurance agent - preferably one who has experience writing policies for medical professionals.

Back