Hired then fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtaylor

I was recently hired by a company as a contractor for the month of December to be placed on payroll on Jan 1. The reason for this is the company as relocating to my area (Ozark MO) from Colorado and needed a network administrator to get the network transition taken care of and in place in time for customer service rep training beginning Jan 3, 2005. I accepted the position with an hourly rate for December and a salary starting Jan 3. They didn't want to hire me at the time because they wanted everyone officially on payroll at the same time. There were several of us involved in this arrangement, although in different departments.

The VP called yesterday and told me they were having problems with a contractor that was re-doing their websites. Because of these problems (which did not involve me in the least), they decided to hire a programmer and terminated my employment. When I specifically asked if there were concerns with my performance, the VP replied absolutely not, they felt I was well qualified for the position I was hired for, but not qualified for the position as programmer (which I'm not) and therefore, would rather have the programmer instead of a network admin.

I spoke with the President of the company who stated he had no idea the VP was doing this, heard nothing but positive comments about me; however, would not intervene as he leaves the actual running of the company to the VP.

I turned down several nice job opportunities for this company. It took me 14 months of work to land a position in a field that is grossly oversaturated and with stiff competition for the same job. Do I have any recourse here?

Sorry, no. Unforseen circumstances has resulted in your job offer being revoked. That does not give rise to a cause of action. Had they purposefully defrauded you during the recruiting phase (which does not remotely seem to be the case), then that would be a different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back