Hired but not working...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grace5

I was hired by a company overseas. They processed all the paperwork so did I. The company sent me LOA and the signed contract. When the time to send me the air-tickets came they just disappeared. They are not responding my e-mail.
I took an academic leave from my University, paid all medical expenses which were supposed to be reimbursed by the company. What do I do in this case? Thanks.

You may have been taken for a ride. There are several scams extracting small payments from people promising them work. Google the information about yours and see what you can discover.

This is not a scam for sure. My friends used to work with that company in the past. It's a Turkish company is located in Afghanistan. The representative of the company came to my country and interviewed and hired few people. Those two already left but I did not get my tickets or any reply or explanation.

Well, maybe they have changed their mind about hiring you. What do you want us to do?

Contact the company that isn't scamming you. There is nothing we can do for you.

They were supposed to say that at least that they changed their mind. The matter is that they just ignore my messages. I think it's not the right thing to do.

They were supposed to say that at least that they changed their mind. The matter is that they just ignore my messages. I think it's not the right thing to do.

Perhaps they have found a better qualified candidate

At any rate, there is nothing we can do for you.

Contact the alleged hiring authorities.

Write them a letter and send it via FedEx.

Call them and leave a voicemail message.

Buy your own airline ticket and show up saying, "Here I am, ready to go to work!"

There is nothing we can do due for you.

None of us offered you a job.

Grace, I do not disagree that they should contact you if they change their minds. However, the law does not require that they do so, and it is an unfortunate fact of HR life that not all HR departments notify unsuccessful candidates, even if they have previously promised to do so. I don't know what else to tell you.

Depending on where you are and where they are, it is just barely possible that you could sue them for detrimental reliance, but if you are in the US and they are not, that pretty much eliminates that option.

Consult local counsel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back