Hired but never worked

Rreyes5029

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hi I was recently hired at KFC. A friend of mine started working there as a dishwasher and referred me to the hiring manager. The next day she told him to let me know to be there at a specific time and i showed up we talked she said "okay I'm going to give you a chance". She then wrote down on a piece of paper what I should bring a week later which was Social Security Card, Food handlers permit (which I tested for then bought out of my own money) Identification, and to get a direct deposit form through a bank ( which I had to go start up a bank). She also told me to go and buy work pants and work shoes for a dishwashing job. Then she was supposed to put me through orientation the same day. I was excited I had gotten the job. The week came and went and I came by the workplace brought everything I needed one of the managers brought out all the paperwork for me to start working as I was filling out the forms I kept seeing one of the managers looking me up and down. I am an ex gang member and I have my arms covered in tattoos. So I finished my forms and the manager who was eyeballing me ask for my Social Security Card and ID he then came back and said his Copy machine is broking and ask me to make copys of my ID and SSC and bring them back the next day no orientation videos whatsoever. I came back the following day with both items requested and the manager the one who hired me whos giving me a chance said she would call me when she was ready to train me. She hasn't called. I felt discriminated out of job the first manger who hired me seemed fine and seemed to like me yet the other manager he seemed to dislike me and persuaded her to change her mind because after I came back the week later she wouldn't look me in the eye and seemed to be ignoring me. I already done bought everything necessary to work and wasted the last of the money i had. Is there anything I should do.

No, you didn't waste your money. All that stuff you paid for will be useful the next time you apply for a job.

There was no illegal discrimination involved. Ex gang members are not a protected class. People with tattoos are not a protected class.

Wear long sleeve shirts when you apply for jobs in the future, even if it's for dish washing or labor. Looking presentable is more than half the battle.

This might not be fair but I don't see anything illegal. Sorry.

Back